- This page is for the album. For the song of the same name, see Mink Car (Song).
Studio album by They Might Be Giants
|First released|| September 11, 2001
Release details / collectors: Show | Hide
|Tracks||17||Last album||Long Tall Weekend|
|Label||Restless Records <73744-2>||Length||46:24||Next album||No!|
Many of the album's tracks were pre-released by the band via TMBG Unlimited in either their demo or final forms. "Older" and "She Thinks She's Edith Head", had been released in other forms on Long Tall Weekend.
Depending on the country of release, Mink Car's tracklisting varied widely. Several additional songs, "Boss Of Me", "Your Mom's Alright", "MacGyver", and "Robot Parade (Adult Version)" were tacked on as bonus tracks. The European CD's version of "Older" is missing one rauschpfeife note.
Man, It's So Loud In Here was the only domestic single from the album, but was not widely circulated. Promotional releases of "Another First Kiss" and "Bangs" were also issued, and "Working Undercover For The Man" had been released on its own extended play the previous year.
The album's cover and media art were designed by The Chopping Block, which also did artwork for the band's follow-up, No!. More information on the design process for the album's artwork can be found here.
Mink Car is TMBG's only album to have ever fallen out of print; however, the album is once again for sale on the official merchandise website and iTunes.
In 2021, Flansburgh reflected on the album, in response to a question about performing some of those songs in shows: "Doing Mink Car is kind of for us. It was a record we spent a lot of time on and collaborated with the dearly departed Adam Schlesinger [who passed away in 2020]. I think it didn’t really get a public hearing because of events beyond anyone's control. It's something we're proud of."
|3||Man, It's So Loud In Here||3:59|
|5||Another First Kiss||3:06|
|6||I've Got A Fang||2:32|
|9||Hopeless Bleak Despair||3:08|
|14||Wicked Little Critta||2:11|
|15||Finished With Lies||3:18|
|16||She Thinks She's Edith Head||2:37|
|17||Working Undercover For The Man||2:19|
Japanese Bonus Tracks / 2022 Digital Bonus Tracks
|18||Boss Of Me||2:57|
|19||Your Mom's Alright||2:59
|21||Robot Parade (Adult Version)||1:05
Australian Bonus Track
|18||Boss Of Me||2:57|
|1||Man, It's So Loud In Here||3:59|
|2||Boss Of Me||2:57|
|4||Another First Kiss||3:06|
|8||Your Mom's Alright||2:59|
|11||I've Got A Fang||2:32|
|13||Hopeless Bleak Despair||3:08|
- Working titles for the album included Unreliable Narrator and Secret Mountain Laboratory.
- The lyrics for "Yeh Yeh", a cover of song performed by Georgie Fame, were not included in the liner notes. The track itself was omitted from the publisher's promo CD because Warner/Chappell does not have the rights to the song.
- Some promotional literature indicated catalog numbers for a cassette release of the album, but this did not occur, likely due to the wide obsolescence of the format by the time of the album's release.
- The Dial-A-Song phone number can be found in sections scattered around "THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS" on the album cover.
- In 2011, a number of musicians organized a cover album for the tenth anniversary of both the album's release and the 9/11 attacks.
Publisher's promo (note the lack of "Yeh Yeh")