From This Might Be A Wiki
|artist||They Might Be Giants|
|releases||Mink Car, Special Mink Car Sampler, Tracks Taken From The New Album 'Mink Car', Dial-A-Song: 20 Years Of They Might Be Giants, A User's Guide to They Might Be Giants: Melody, Fidelity, Quantity, Podcast 21A, 50,000,000 They Might Be Giants Songs Can't Be Wrong|
|first played||September 19, 2001 (95 known performances)|
|sung by||John Linnell|
- 'Bangs' is a North American English term for strands or locks of hair that fall over the scalp's front hairline to cover the forehead, commonly known as a 'fringe' in British English.
- This song inspired a story by Zadie Smith, called "The Girl with Bangs", which appears in McSweeney's Quarterly Concern. The Mink Car version incorporates the first line from the story, in rearranged form. At the TMBG vs McSweeney's event in London (October 4, 2003), Zadie Smith read "The Girl with Bangs" while the band played a more instrumental rendition of "Bangs" in the background.
- This version differs from both the TMBG Unlimited version and the They Might Be Giants Vs. McSweeney's version. The Mink Car version is a complete re-recording, with some new lyrics written and other lyrics juggled around.
- This song was once played over the end credits of an episode of the MTV show Daria. Executive producer Glenn Eichler is known to be a fan of TMBG (his favorite song is "They'll Need A Crane").
- This song is used in the movie Mayor of The Sunset Strip, which hit theaters on March 26, 2004, although it was not included on the official soundtrack. However, it was included on a promotional soundtrack sampler, which was given out at the movie's premiere.
- "Bangs" is one of three TMBG songs Bob Dylan selected for his "Theme Time Radio Hour" program on XM Radio.
You must be logged in to rate this. You can either login (if you have a userid) or create an account with us today.
Bangs is currently ranked #413 out of 910. (119 wikians have given it an average rating of 8.29)