TMBG is known for reusing song titles, lyrics, musical phrases, etc.
Some of the correlations listed may seem forced depending on your point of view - please do not worry! Definite links between songs are hard to prove without John intervention.
- About Me - same idea further developed as "I'm All You Can Think About"
- Ampersand - "We'd talk right through the night" is also brought up in Best Regrets.
- Anqui - tune, style from "Idaho"
- Coke Radio Ad - "Who's gonna wear my sandals stained with Coca-Cola?" from "Poison Flowers"
- Dan Vs. Cog - tune and many lyrics from "Glockenspiel Intro - Born In A Graveyard"
- Experimental Film - "I already know the ending it's / The part that makes your face implode"
- compare with: "Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes" - "All the people are so happy now, their heads are cavin' in"
- Also in the "Experimental Film" video, when Strong Sad falls into the football field, there are a bunch of signs that spell out "it's a lion".
And in the "Figure Eight" video, they show a book that says "it's a lion" on the page that also says "Figure 9". And the two "it's a lion"'s are written in very similar hand-writing.
- Goodbye - melody taken from "Glasgow"
- Glean - melody for soprano sax taken from "Hearing Aid"
- Guitar Was The Case - borrows some melodic elements from "Hall Of Heads"
- Happy Doesn't Have To Have An Ending - the dancing hippie cat recalls "Birds Fly": "cats dance under my feet"
- Hide Away Folk Family - The music during "Better hide away" is very similar to the chorus in "I Hope That I Get Old Before I Die"
- I Blame You - reuses the tune of "Free Bird's Rebirth" with changed lyrics
- I Haven't Been Right Yet - Has the same theme of the narrator having a secret plan he intends to reveal that was also in No One Knows My Plan.
- I'm Just A Note - "I am just a note", "singing in harmony" same rhythm as "I'm all alone", "behold the mystery" from All Alone
- I'm Sick (Of This American Life) - "I didn't come here to socialize...I'm sick...I like staring at two glass eyes"
- Insect Hospital - Borrows its title from the live-only track "After Hours Party At The Insect Hospital"
- I've Learned The Value Of Human Sacrifice - Contains lyrics from "I'm Sick (Of This American Life)" which, in turn, takes lyrics from "Cyclops Rock"
- Ike Was A Handsome Man - A 10-second reprise of the melody to "It Could Be Worse"
- Job Interview - Instrumental version recycled as the "Sneaking Intro"
- La Dolce Malcolm - Melody partly taken from "Tres Quatro"
- Lazyhead And Sleepybones - "When Sleepy Bones says he's feeling tired / Lazy Head wants to rest...Both take naps so long"
- Compare with: My Evil Twin - "He always wants to start when I want to begin...Then sleep all through the day"
- Letter/Not A Letter - music behind kids speaking is a faster version of "Z Y X"
- Lie Still, Little Bottle - borrows the bridge of "I Need Some Lovin'
- Lost My Mind - "The one I left behind" is said verbatim in Tender Is The Mind
- Older - borrows the line "Time is marching on" from XTC Vs. Adam Ant
- Ondine - "I dreamed I killed you again / Don't make me kill you again"
- compare with: Extra Krispy - "I'm gonna rock you just one more time / Don't make me rock you again"
- All three processionals from the House Of Mayors EP feature the melody from the title track in some form.
- Robot Parade - adapted from a song for The Chopping Block called "Robot Design"
- The original line goes "Robot design / Rest your head on the Chopping Block"
- Sleepwalkers - melody line from "What Is Everyone Staring At?"
- Spiraling Shape - chorus taken from "Rocket Ship"
- Thunderbird - very musically similar to "James K. Polk" as is "9 Secret Steps"
- To A Forest - guitar riff is similar to "Contrecoup"
- Upside Down Frown - "Black is white, and the rainbow has a beard"
- Who's Gonna Guess The Dead Guy? - Tune of "Boss Of Me"
- With The Dark - "Busting my pirate hump, rocking my peg leg stump"
- Wreck It Apart - "Don't make me kill you again" from "Ondine"
- Hey, Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had A Deal - "Well, I told you about the world, its address" (The World's Address), "You know the rabid child is still tuning in", "Chess Piece Face's patience must be wearing thin"
- I Am A Grocery Bag - references Dead's line: "I came back as a bag of groceries..."
- Impossible - "If you wish you had violet hair" recalls "Purple Toupee"
- Nightgown Of The Sullen Moon - "There's a feeling of boredom, of the big whoredom" ("The Big Big Whoredom")
- Rabid Child - "Chess Piece Face and the Big Duluth"
- Piece Of Dirt - "I find myself haunted by a spooky man named Me;" this song precedes "Mr. Me" on Lincoln
- The Songs Of The 50 States - After the last instance of the line "I can't wait for my favorite one," an instrumental version of the chorus of "Arkansas" plays
- Stalk Of Wheat - References a line from "They Might Be Giants": "They might be frying up a stalk of wheat"
- Stone Cold Coup D'État - The narrator claims that "autumn leaves will burn," as did the narrator of No One Knows My Plan
- (She Was A) Hotel Detective (JF)
- She Was A Hotel Detective (JL)
- (She Was A) Hotel Detective In The Future (JL)
- Planet Of The Apes
- Return To The Planet Of The Apes
- Conquest Of The Planet Of The Apes
- Escape From The Planet Of The Apes
- Battle For The Planet Of The Apes
- Beneath The Planet Of The Apes
- This Ape's For You
- The Flood liner notes are "printed on recycled paper".
- TMBG has also been known to reuse typefaces, for example,