Boss Of Me
From This Might Be A Wiki
|song name||Boss of Me|
|artist||They Might Be Giants|
|releases||Boss Of Me (Single), Music From Malcolm In The Middle, 2001 Radio Sampler No. 1, Mink Car [International Releases], Dial-A-Song: 20 Years Of They Might Be Giants, TMBG Clock Radio, A User's Guide to They Might Be Giants: Melody, Fidelity, Quantity, 50,000,000 They Might Be Giants Songs Can't Be Wrong|
|first played||February 4, 2000 (264 known performances)|
|sung by||John Flansburgh|
- "Boss Of Me," which won TMBG their first Grammy, was the theme to the FOX TV series Malcolm In The Middle. It became the first TV theme ever to win a Grammy for Best Song Written for a Movie or TV Show. (Info on Wikipedia)
- The song is an extended version of the original 35-second version on the What We Did This Summer EP.
- The single contains another version of the song with an additional 9-second intro.
- Although this version of the song eventually came to be considered the "normal" version, when it was originally released as a single, it was called the "edit" version of the song, labeled "Boss Of Me (Edit)," while the version with the extra 9-second intro was considered the "normal" version (i.e. listed as "Boss Of Me").
The creator of the show is Linwood Boomer, who, if you are the age of my wife exactly, is a name you would recognize instantly because he played the blind boyfriend on ‘Little House on the Prairie’ as a child actor. The office called, and my wife took a message, and she said, ‘This guy Linwood Boomer wants to talk to you.’ And she was like, ‘I don’t know how many people were named Linwood Boomer, but I get the feeling he was on ‘Little House on the Prairie’.’ He created the show and had a very clear idea of what he wanted. He wanted something very high energy that really captured the tussle of a family of brothers. We just sort of grabbed that track out of a stack of half-finished songs and contoured the lyric to the show.
- When TMBG performs this song live, Flansburgh sometimes says that it is about his older brother, Paxus.
- "I wrote a thirty-second song that I couldn't finish for a year." - Flansburgh on the song
- At kids' shows, this song is sometimes performed in a mellow bluegrass format.
- This song was parodied on MADtv, as part of a Malcolm in the Middle parody sketch. Watch it here.
- The song was covered by Florida ska punk band Less Than Jake on their 2010 EP, TV/EP.
- Watch it on
- Live "country" version on The Early Show
You must be logged in to rate this. You can either login (if you have a userid) or create an account with us today.
Boss Of Me is currently ranked #137 out of 910. (77 wikians have given it an average rating of 8.82)