Screenshot from the music video
TMBG posing with their Grammy awards for "Boss of Me"
- The song is an extended version of the original 35-second version on the What We Did This Summer EP. Having won TMBG their first Grammy, "Boss Of Me" is the theme to the FOX TV series Malcolm In The Middle. It became the first TV theme ever to win a Grammy for Best Song Written for a Movie or TV Show.
- The single contains another version of the song with an additional 9-second intro.
- Although this version of the song eventually came to be considered the "normal" version, when it was originally released as a single, it was called the "edit" version of the song, labeled "Boss Of Me (Edit)," while the version with the extra 9-second intro was considered the "normal" version (i.e. listed as "Boss Of Me").
- When TMBG performs this song live, Flansburgh sometimes says that it is about his older brother, Paxus.
- "I wrote a thirty-second song that I couldn't finish for a year." - John Flansburgh on the song
- At kids' shows, this song is sometimes performed under a mellow bluegrass guise.
- This song was parodied on MADtv, as part of a Malcolm in the Middle parody sketch. Watch it here.
- The song was covered by Florida ska punk band Less Than Jake on their 2010 EP, TV/EP.
Aversion To Work, I Am, No, Occupations, Questions, Size, TV And Movie Themes, Yes
Available for Purchaseedit