They Might Be Giants (Song)
From This Might Be A Wiki
|song name||They Might Be Giants|
|artist||They Might Be Giants|
|releases||Flood, Dial-A-Song: 20 Years Of They Might Be Giants, Flood + Apollo 18|
|first played||September 29, 1990 (79 known performances)|
|sung by||John Flansburgh, John Linnell provides the "Ahh"'s|
- John Flansburgh, Throttle Magazine, August 1990:
A really, really old song. We actually recorded that in 1985, originally. We thought about doing it for the second album as well. Basically, we didn't want to put it on the first album because it seemed too weird. It just seemed perfect to have our theme song on our third album. It's a very complicated song, actually. When we did it originally, we recorded it on a four track and we just did millions and millions of overdubs and created this very tracked-out, complicated arrangement. And since we started working on an eight track, we tended to strip things down a little bit more. So when we came back to "They Might Be Giants," we found ourselves trying to recreate something we did pretty effortlessly on a four track, but when we were actually trying to use big, studio recording techniques, it became an incredibly complicated piece to put back together again. There's a ton of vocals on it, two guitars, two trumpets.
- Dr. Benjamin Spock (not to be confused with Mr. Spock from Star Trek) was a pediatrician who wrote the best-selling The Common Sense Book of Baby and Child Care.
- "While we'd have a tad more street cred to cite Black Sabbath, I think we were really trying to make some of 'Hey Hey We're the Monkees' our own with this one. I think including it here was a way to telegraph to all who might care that we were very much going to carry on as we had started — which is to say complicated and impossible to pigeonhole." - John Flansburgh in a 2009 interview with Rolling Stone.
- John Flansburgh on the source of the sample first heard at the opening of the song: "It’s from a kinda fake, budget version of a self-improvement program that was on a cassette we bought for, probably, 10 cents in some junk store."
- Live performance at Warsaw, Polish National Home, Brooklyn, NY, taped for Gigantic (A Tale Of Two Johns). Watch it on – Recorded live on August 5, 2001
You must be logged in to rate this. You can either login (if you have a userid) or create an account with us today.
They Might Be Giants (Song) is currently ranked #259 out of 876. (87 wikians have given it an average rating of 8.54)