From This Might Be A Wiki
|song name||Spiraling Shape|
|artist||They Might Be Giants|
|releases||Factory Showroom, John Henry + Factory Showroom|
|first played||February 3, 1996 (100 known performances)|
|sung by||John Linnell, John Flansburgh provides backup|
TMBG wishes to make the case that not all of our songs have a single strict interpretation, but "Spiraling Shape" is generally about the fervent embrace and then abandonment of a cultural "bubble." It might be "smart" drugs, it might be virtual whatever, or it could simply be spin art. Steve Light adds his snazzy vibraphone to this swirling cut.
- Instead of the line "Your terrified screams are inaudible, drowned in the spiral ahead and consumed in the shape", the line "And even while screaming and writhing, you reach for the spiraling one that would let you be free" is featured in the English lyrics section of the booklet for Japanese releases of Factory Showroom. The American release of the album features no accompanying lyrics booklet.
- The chorus of this song was cannibalized from a previously unreleased TMBG song, "Rocket Ship."
- Not only was this song on the Kids In The Hall - Brain Candy OST, but it was also featured in the actual movie for about seven seconds.
- Appears in the Malcolm In The Middle episode "Smunday."
- During live performances, Danny Weinkauf does a bass solo in place of the usual vibraphone solo.
- The introduction to the song was featured in the radio series Blue Jam. It appears as a loop at the end of episode six, series two.
You must be logged in to rate this. You can either login (if you have a userid) or create an account with us today.
Spiraling Shape is currently ranked #14 out of 910. (249 wikians have given it an average rating of 9.11)