Hey, Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had A Deal
|song name||Hey, Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had a Deal|
|artist||They Might Be Giants|
|releases||Purple Toupee (EP), Don't Let's Start (LP), Hey, Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had A Deal (Promo), Miscellaneous T, Then: The Earlier Years, Dial-A-Song: 20 Years Of They Might Be Giants, Podcast 24A, 50,000,000 They Might Be Giants Songs Can't Be Wrong|
|first played||February 2, 2008 (127 known performances)|
|sung by||John Linnell|
- From the Then liner notes: "'Hey Mr. DJ' was the final evolution of a song we started writing long ago called 'Sleeping My Way to the Top', which we had planned to perform while lying in a pair of hammocks strung across the stage."
- This song self-references a couple of TMBG songs ("Well, I told you about the world, its address", etc.). In doing so, it mimics "Glass Onion" by The Beatles, in which several songs of their own are referenced ("I told you about Strawberry Fields", "I told you about the fool on the hill", etc.).
- Even though this song was released in 1989, the band never played it live until 2008!
- This song has been covered by Common Rotation.
- This was the first song played by KWVA, the University of Oregon's student-run radio station, when it went on the air in May 1993.
Bad English, Children, Criminal Activities, Games, Gratitude, Lies, Deception, Money, Oblique Cliches Or Idiom, Occupations, People (Imaginary), Puns, Recycled Material, References To Other Songs Or Musicians, Self-Reference, Sex, Sleep, Titles And Honorifics, Tongue-Twisters
You must be logged in to rate this. You can either login (if you have a userid) or create an account with us today.
Hey, Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had A Deal is currently ranked #11 out of 909. (190 wikians have given it an average rating of 9.12)