From This Might Be A Wiki
|artist||They Might Be Giants|
|releases||Long Tall Weekend, What We Did This Summer, Music From Malcolm In The Middle, Dial-A-Song: 20 Years Of They Might Be Giants, A User's Guide To They Might Be Giants: Melody, Fidelity, Quantity, Podcast 55|
|first played||March 14, 1996 (737 known performances)|
|sung by||John Linnell; John Flansburgh sings the bridge|
- A video of this song was made for the ABC TV special Brave New World in 1999. The video was filmed at the "ClockTower Building" in Brooklyn. In 2009, the apartment in which the video was shot went on the market for an asking price of $25 million .
- Different from the horn-filled version that later appeared on Mink Car.
- Flansburgh is uncredited in this song according to the Long Tall Weekend liner notes.
- The AV Club included this song in their list "Losing our edge? 14 panicky works about growing older":
The TMBG track “Older,” from 1999’s Long Tall Weekend, masks any overt anxiety about aging and death behind a stentorian voice that sounds like Father Time making an uncompromising proclamation: “You’re older than you’ve ever been, and now you’re even older / and now you’re even older / and now you’re even older / …and now you’re older still.” There isn’t much more to the song, beyond that chant with variations (“This day will soon be at an end, and now it’s even sooner”) and a bridge that announces, “Time is marching on! And time… is still marching on!” But the starkness and simplicity of song makes the message even more unadorned and terrifying: We’re all constantly moving toward death and running out of time, and actually thinking about it is maddening… but not thinking about it doesn’t slow down the process one whit.
- Watch the (Live)
- The Puppet Johns perform the song to acoustic guitar on an episode of They Might Be Giants Friday Night Family Podcast
You must be logged in to rate this. You can either login (if you have a userid) or create an account with us today.
Older is currently ranked #160 out of 841. (68 wikians have given it an average rating of 8.75)