2010 Archived News
From This Might Be A Wiki
- December 17, 2010
- For the second time this year, TMBG was featured on Jeopardy! On tonight's episode, the $800 clue in Musical Lodgings was "They Might Be Giants sang a song about putting a little one of these 'in your soul'". The answer, of course, is "What is a birdhouse?", which the reigning champ got right.
- December 4, 2010
- People, put your hands together for Danny Weinkauf on the bass, who is celebrating his birthday today!
- December 1, 2010
- Here Comes Science has been nominated for a 2010 Grammy Award for Best Musical Album for Children! Congratulations, TMBG! The ceremony will take place on February 13, 2011 and the band will be up for their third Grammy win.
- November 30, 2010
- They Might Be Giants are extending their four holiday sale bundles from now through Christmas, "to help raise money for the band's next effort!"Visit the official store!
- October 27, 2010
- An interview with John Linnell has been posted by the News Times.
- October 25, 2010
- Tune in at 9:00pm tonight to see Season 3 of the HBO series In Treatment, starring Gabriel Byrne, and featuring Marty Beller as the musical composer. New episodes will be airing every Monday and Tuesday at 9:00pm and 9:30pm.
- October 21, 2010
- Congratulations to They Might Be Giants, whose album Here Comes Science has officially spent 52 weeks on the Billboard Kids Album Chart!
- October 14, 2010
- The Morristown Patch has posted an interview with Linnell, in which he discusses childrens' music, and the band's next album.
- October 12, 2010
- Ex-TMBG drummer Brian Doherty will be releasing a biography in 2011, Memoirs of A Rock Drummer. You can read a snippet that he released yesterday, that talks about TMBG's image and also Weird Al, on his blog. (Update: the post has since been removed.)
- October 6, 2010
- John Linnell was interviewed by Brightest Young Things in advance of TMBG's Kennedy Center performance last week.
- October 6, 2010
- Too Much Fun, the new album from AudraRox is now available for download for on [ Amazon.com]. The album was produced by TMBG's own Marty Beller, so check it out!
- October 3, 2010
- Happy birthday to a magnificent guitar player, Mr. Dan Miller!
- October 2, 2010
- Watch TMBG's October 2 performance at the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC at The Kennedy Center's website!
- October 1, 2010
- Happy October! An official music video for "We Live In A Dump", directed by David Cowles and Liesje Kraai has just been released. Watch it on YouTube!
- September 28, 2010
- John Linnell "sat down with The Settler recently to talk festivals, favorites and Coraline."
- September 21, 2010
- Another John Linnell interview has been posted -- This time he discusses Here Comes Science with the Lab Out Loud Podcast.
- September 20, 2010
- John Linnell is the Geek of the Week over on Geek Girl On The Street. Check out their interview with him where he talks about musical influences, writing for kids and advice for aspiring musicians.
- September 16, 2010
- According to the band's latest blog post, they will be performing brand new songs at next weekend's Providence, RI show and the Audience Appreciation Show at Mohegan Sun.
- September 1, 2010
- TMBW.Net is proud to announce that we were able to make a donation of $239.70 to The Haitian People's Support Project, based on sales of Many Hands. Thanks to all who supported the effort, by purchasing the album or tracks through our site!
- August 24, 2010
- TMBG has launched their own official Twitter Feed. Start following the band today!
- August 19, 2010
- Flansburgh talks puppets and a new puppet-related project with Good Times Santa Cruz.
- August 19, 2010
- The Santa Cruz Sentinel has posted an article about the band, along with quotes from Flansburgh.
- August 18, 2010
- They Might Be Giants have written a theme for the Madeleine Brand Show on KPCC. Listen to it here. (Download)
- August 17, 2010
- This Saturday (8/21), Spare The Rock will be debuting a new theme song written by TMBG, called Don't Spare The Rock. Info / airtimes can be found at sparetherock.com.
- August 13, 2010
- TMBW is pleased to announce Dial-A-Wiki at (505) TMBW-505, a song-a-day telephone service and unofficial fan tribute to They Might Be Giants' Dial-A-Song. Call up, enjoy, and leave a message after the beep if you'd like.
- August 13, 2010
- "Birdhouse In Your Soul" is currently being featured in a British advertisement (YouTube link) for the shoe manufacturer Clarks. As a result, the song is currently in the Top 100 UK Singles Chart, twenty years after its original release on 1990's Flood album. A Facebook group also exists to try to get the song higher on the charts, so participate if you can!
- August 10, 2010
- "My Name Is Kingof Socks" is now available on Amazon MP3. Remember, for each copy downloaded through TMBW.Net (via this link), we will donate 20 cents to the Haitian People's Support Project. Download it today!
- July 29, 2010
- The Johns have posted a rundown of upcoming shows on Their YouTube.
- July 27, 2010
- Talk Stoop has posted a video interview with John, John, and Marty.
- July 21, 2010
- Marty Beller will be joining Jonathan Coulton tomorrow at the Iron Horse in Northampton and Somerville (Massachusetts) on Friday. Tickets are available here: Northampton / Somerville
- July 21, 2010
- TMBG's merchandise store has recently added digital song and show downloads. Support the band, by buying directly from John and John, and cut out the middleman!
- July 11, 2010
- Flansburgh and Linnell were interviewed by Iain Lee for his program on Absolute Radio during their recent trip to London. The full unedited interview is available to listen to and download on Iain Lee's Best Bits podcast.
- July 10, 2010
- Happy Birthday to the King of the Drums, Marty Beller who turns 43 today!
- July 8, 2010
- My Name Is Kingof Socks will make its debut on this Saturday's Spare The Rock, Spoil The Child show. If you don't live in Northampton MA, you can still tune in at 8:00am at wrsi.com.
- July 7, 2010
- TMBG has uploaded a short video clip of another new track being recorded in the studio for their upcoming rock album--this one being called "Canajoharie". Watch it on YouTube.
- July 5, 2010
- TMBW.Net has decided to donate all proceeds from commissions from Amazon sales of the new compilation Many Hands: Family Music For Haiti, which features My Name Is Kingof Socks. In addition, if you buy the album through our site, not only will we give them our commission, but we'll match it! So, buy the album from Amazon today, and support a great cause!
- July 1, 2010
- Continuing their string of BBC interviews, TMBG appeared on The Strand whilst in England. You can listen to the interview here.
- June 28, 2010
- John, John and Marty were on the Robert Elms show on BBC London (radio). The show has been uploaded, so you can listen to it here, but will only be available for a few days. The segment with TMBG starts at around 02:06.10, and features I Am A Paleontologist (not live), and live versions of Meet The Elements and Istanbul (Not Constantinople).
- June 26, 2010
- TMBG appeared on Jonathan Ross's radio program on BBC Radio 2 in England this morning. You can now listen to the episode online here but catch it quick as it will only be available for seven days. The Giants segment begins at about 2:15.20. The episode includes an interview and live performances of Meet The Elements and a cover of Up the Junction by Squeeze.
- June 25, 2010
- TMBG was featured on tonight's episode of Jeopardy! The Final Jeopardy clue was "The band called 'They Might Be Giants' ultimately gets its name from a phrase said by this title hero in a 1605 work." The answer, of course, is "Who is Don Quixote?", which none of the contestants got right.
- June 17, 2010
- They Might Be Giants has posted a short video from the recording studio, containing a 13-second instrumental excerpt of a new song called "Duende", from the band's upcoming 15th album (set for release in 2011). Watch it on YouTube!
- June 17, 2010
- TMBG's official merchandise store has been revamped and has several new items for sale. Support the band and stock up today!
- June 16, 2010
- The Epicurean Musician has posted an interview with Linnell about his eating habits, favorite foods, and eating on the road.
- June 15, 2010
- American Songwriter has posted an interview with The Johns done before their set at Bonnaroo.
- June 14, 2010
- Spinner.com has posted a short interview with Flansburgh regarding TMBG's summer tour. Upcoming projects are also briefly mentioned.
- June 13, 2010
- WXRT has posted a very short interview with John and John as well as three songs recorded live Backstage at Bonnaroo.
- June 12, 2010
- A very happy birthday to Mr. John Linnell, who turns 51 today!
- June 11, 2010
- John Linnell was interviewed about Here Comes Science by Iain Lee's Best Bits podcast. Listen or download it from Absolute Radio.
- June 10, 2010
- John and John have released a short "non-musical audio podcast" via YouTube entitled "Vibe Report Summer 2010", which is appended to the song "Demarais Parker". Upcoming tour dates are discussed.
- May 26, 2010
- A selection of shirts and albums are now 50% off at TMBG's official website. Check it out now!
- May 20, 2010
- The Gatehouse News Service has released a short interview with Linnell.
- May 13, 2010
- They Might Be Giants have uploaded the extras from Gigantic on their YouTube profile. Check it out!
- May 10, 2010
- This week's issue of Time Magazine has an article titled Kid Rock, featuring a picture of Marty Beller. Pick up a copy at your local newsstand today!
- May 6, 2010
- Happy 50th birthday, Mr. John Flansburgh!
- May 6, 2010
- The Village Voice has posted an interview with Flansburgh conducted for his 50th birthday.
- April 22, 2010
- Planet Green has posted a short interview with John Linnell talking about Here Comes Science.
- April 20, 2010
- TMBG is contributing a new track called My Name Is Kingof Socks for a new Haiti benefit CD -- Many Hands. The album is being released on a new label from our friends from Spare The Rock, Spoil The Child, and will be out August 10th, 2010. More info available on sparetherock.com
- April 19, 2010
- The Johns have posted a strange new song with video to YouTube, Chicken And Ice Cream. (Note, the video has now been removed.)
- April 8, 2010
- The Green Shoelace posted an interview on March 17, 2010 with John Flansburgh about the early days, Flood's 20th anniversary, & the songwriting process.
- March 23, 2010
- The Pittsburgh Music Report posted a short interview with John Linnell about performing for kids & songwriting.
- March 6, 2010
- John Flansburgh was a guest on this week's Podcast Beyond Belief, the new podcast from the Foundation Beyond Belief. The full episode, "Pop Culture Science," can be downloaded here (the interview segment begins about 27:50 in).
- March 4, 2010
- TMBW.Net gets a mention in the Atlanta Music Guide's interview with John Linnell today!
- Nashville Scene also has an interview with John Flansburgh up on their website.
- March 2, 2010
- After a long hiatus, Podcast 40, which consists of two music videos, has been released today. Go check it out! (Direct Feed / iTunes)
- March 2, 2010
- TMBG's newest contribution to the Almost Alice compilation, You Are Old, Father William, is available exclusively on iTunes. Click here to purchase for $1.29!
- February 25, 2010
- Reax Music has posted an interview with Flansburgh about the band's history, children's music, and the state of the music industry. Check it out.
- February 24, 2010
- John Flansburgh has created a slideshow video in iMovie for "Atlanta" (the Variety Playhouse Venue Song). Watch it on YouTube!
- February 23, 2010
- For those of you who may have missed They Might Be Giants' "And Mom And Kid" on Rosie O'Donnell's HBO special, A Family is a Family is a Family, the song has been uploaded to TMBG's official ParticleMen YouTube channel; watch the clip here.
- February 22, 2010
- The Onion AV Club lists Miscellaneous T among its "34 B-side/rarity/outtakes collections as essential as the “official” albums".
- February 18, 2010
- Every episode of the They Might Be Giants Podcast has been added to the FM channel of TMBG Clock Radio.
- February 17, 2010
- They Might Be Giants have applied to the Digital Media and Learning Competition with a proposal for a project entitled They Might Be Giants' INVENTION (TMBW page):
- "An imaginative musical online world created by WNET (NY's PBS station) and They Might Be Giants (2009 Grammy winner for Best Children's Album). Music videos embedded in a multi-part game will immerse 6-9-year-olds in the strange and startling stories (and science) behind inventors, invention, and innovation, while encouraging kids to create and share their own contraptions."
- Whether or not the project is funded ultimately relies on positive comments being left, so the band humbly requests that you leave positive comments if you like the idea, particularly "if you are an educator, or from the science or technology world, [...] put in a good word and cite your credentials."
- February 16, 2010
- TMBG is contributing a new track called You Are Old, Father William to the album Almost Alice, a compilation of music inspired by the new film Alice In Wonderland. It appears that the song will be a bonus track available on the iTunes edition, and will only be available when you order the full album. You can pre-order the full album on iTunes for $9.99.
- February 11, 2010
- Here Comes Science now holds the distinction of being TMBG's longest run on any Billboard chart, with 23 weeks on the Billboard Kids Albums chart (see here for the chart). Congratulations, guys!
- February 9, 2010
- In huge news, They Might Be Giants have confirmed that this June they will be playing this year's annual Bonnaroo Music Festival in Manchester, Tennessee on June 13! See bonnaroo.com for details.
- February 8, 2010
- Attention all collectors: after weeks of development, TMBW.Net is pleased to announce that we are launching a new feature that allows you to track your TMBG collection! Once you've tagged the albums that you own, you can share your collection on your userpage. For more information, see the instructions.
- January 31, 2010
- Tune in to the new HBO documentary about families produced by Rosie O'Donnell featuring a new song by TMBG, And Mom And Kid, at 7pm EST today! A preview can be found here.
- And if you missed the airing because you were watching the Grammy Awards (or for any other reason) it will be reairing on HBO on February 4, at 8pm EST.
- January 20, 2010
- According to the newest TMBG newsletter, "The free TMBG podcast is about to roll again!"
- January 19, 2010
- According to tmbg.com, the entire TMBG Podcast archive has been added to the EBS channel of the TMBG Clock Radio:
TMBGs Operator Dash informs us that the entire TMBG podcast archive has been added to the EBS channel of the TMBG Clock Radio. Download the app and enjoy DAYS of original music free from your desktop courtesy of TMBGs Clock Radio. And it tells you the time too!
- On February 2, Podcasts 28B, 3A, 4A, 5A and 5B were added to the EBS channel. If you don't have Clock Radio on your desktop already, download it today!
- January 19, 2010
- Time.com has posted a video called They Might Be Giants of Science featuring an interview with John Flansburgh and John Linnell, interviews with fans and concert footage recorded at the American Museum of Natural History on October 4, 2009.
- January 18, 2010
- John Linnell and John Flansburgh were guests on NPR's "Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!" on Saturday, January 16. The 12-minute segment of the show can be downloaded here.
- January 14, 2010
- The documentary A Family Is a Family Is a Family: A Rosie O'Donnell Celebration will debut on HBO on January 31 at 7pm EST, featuring a new They Might Be Giants song titled "And Mom And Kid".
- January 1, 2010
- They Might Be Giants are now eligible for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, as the Wiggle Diskette was released 25 years ago on January 1, 1985!
2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004