- This page is for the album. For the song of the same name, see Mink Car (Song).
Studio album by They Might Be Giants
|First released|| September 11, 2001
Release details / collectors: Show | Hide
|Tracks||17||Last album||Long Tall Weekend|
|Label||Restless Records <73744-2>||Length||46:24||Next album||No!|
Purchase[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
Many of the album's tracks were pre-released by the band via TMBG Unlimited in either their demo or final forms. "Older" and "She Thinks She's Edith Head", had been released in other forms on Long Tall Weekend. Future releases from the band would hold many of their tracks closer to the vest, ensuring that the fanbase hadn't heard a majority of the album before it was released.
Depending on the country of release, Mink Car's tracklisting varied widely. Several additional songs, "Boss Of Me", "Your Mom's Alright", "MacGyver", and "Robot Parade (Adult Version)" were tacked on as bonus tracks. Man, It's So Loud In Here was the only domestic single from the album, but was not widely circulated. Promotional releases of "Another First Kiss" and "Bangs" were also issued, and "Working Undercover For The Man" had been released on its own extended play the previous year.
The album's cover and media art were designed by The Chopping Block, which also did artwork for the band's follow-up, No!. More information on the design process for the album's artwork can be found here.
Mink Car is TMBG's only album to have ever fallen out of print; however, the album is once again for sale on the official merchandise websiteiTunes.and
Track listing[edit | edit source]
US Release[edit | edit source]
|3||Man, It's So Loud In Here||3:59|
|5||Another First Kiss||3:06|
|6||I've Got A Fang||2:32|
|9||Hopeless Bleak Despair||3:08|
|14||Wicked Little Critta||2:11|
|15||Finished With Lies||3:18|
|16||She Thinks She's Edith Head||2:37|
|17||Working Undercover For The Man||2:19|
Australian Bonus Track[edit | edit source]
|18||Boss Of Me||2:57|
Japanese Bonus Tracks[edit | edit source]
|18||Boss Of Me||2:57|
|19||Your Mom's Alright||2:59
|21||Robot Parade (Adult Version)||1:05
European Version[edit | edit source]
|1||Man, It's So Loud In Here||3:59|
|2||Boss Of Me||2:57|
|4||Another First Kiss||3:06|
|8||Your Mom's Alright||2:59|
|11||I've Got A Fang||2:32|
|13||Hopeless Bleak Despair||3:08|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Working titles for the album included Unreliable Narrator and Secret Mountain Laboratory.
- The lyrics for "Yeh Yeh", a cover of song performed by Georgie Fame, were not included in the liner notes. The track itself was omitted from the publisher's promo CD because Warner/Chappell does not have the rights to the song.
- Some promotional literature indicated catalog numbers for a cassette release of the album, but this did not occur, likely due to the wide obsolescence of the format by that time.
- The Dial-A-Song phone number can be found around "THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS" on the album cover.
- In 2011, a number of musicians organized a cover album to commemorate the tenth anniversary of both the album's release and the 9/11 attacks.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Publisher's promo (note the lack of "Yeh Yeh")