Birdhouse In Your Soul
|song name||Birdhouse in Your Soul|
|artist||They Might Be Giants|
|releases||Flood, Birdhouse In Your Soul (EP), Direct From Brooklyn, Dial-A-Song: 20 Years Of They Might Be Giants, A User's Guide To They Might Be Giants: Melody, Fidelity, Quantity, Flood + Apollo 18, 50,000,000 They Might Be Giants Songs Can't Be Wrong|
|first played||November 25, 1989 (1157 known performances)|
|sung by||John Linnell|
- The song is a story of a child's nightlight, told from the nightlight's point of view.
- The Longines Symphonette was a radio show sponsored by Longines, a watch manufacturer. The slogan for Longines was "It doesn't rest". The Longines Symphonette also released many records of their shows and other recordings by the Symphonette. Later, the Symphonette music was sold off to WEA and recordings were issued credited to just the "Symphonette Society". Likewise, later Texas Instruments started using the Longines trade name to make transistor radios as well as other items.
- Linnell admits, in a 2009 interview with Rolling Stone, "I didn't find out what the Longines Symphonette was until after the song was released. It rhymed with 'infinite' (sort of)."
- In the same interview, Linnell says, "The melody and chords were cooked up years earlier, and the lyrics had to be shoehorned in to match the melody, which explains why the words are so oblique. I mean beautiful."
- The song's video was directed by Adam Bernstein and filmed inside the New York County Surrogate's Court and Hall of Records building located at 31 Chambers Street in Manhattan. "I tell people it's my house." - Linnell
- John Flansburgh has acknowledged that he designed and made the William Allen White "eye sunglasses" for the video.
- "Blue Canary"Vincent Fiorino, which has lyrics on the sadder side about loneliness and comforting but has "happy" music. Also, the 1948 song "Bluebird of Happiness" as performed by Art Mooney (which reminds that, "Though you're deep in blue, you will see a ray of light creep through") may have influenced the line about a "bluebird of friendliness". is the title of a 1953 song by
- After appearing in an advert for Clarks Shoes2010, the song returned to the UK Singles Chart for three weeks, after a 20-year hiatus. in
- References to this song appear in the episode "Pigeon" of ABC's show Pushing Daisies. You can view a clip on YouTube.
- Featured on ABC's Private Practice in the opening scenes of the episode "Yours, Mine and Ours" on April 30th, 2009.
- Blue nightlights inspired by this song were sold as promotional items for Flood. These did not actually resemble blue canaries, but blue canary-shaped nightlights available from Internet venues have become a popular novelty item, leading to their inclusion as an offering of 2012's They Might Be Giants Instant Fan Club.
- In the UK, official sheet music appears to have been issued and is included in the 2014 Faber catalogue. The arrangement is in C major (the key of the regional recording; it is usually played live in D major — probably because it's much easier for guitars in that key) and displays a few minor discrepancies in the melody, harmony and chord inversions in comparison with the original song. The arranger and detailed publication history is currently unknown.
1964 World's Fair, Animals, Beach, Clothes, Colors, Death, Friendship, I Am, Kingdom Of Loathing Reference, Letters Of The Alphabet, Loneliness, Mythology, Numbers, Oblique Cliches, Occupations, Oxymorons, Paradoxes, And Contradictory Statements, Recursion, Religion, Sailing, Screaming, Size, Sleep, Stories, Tongue-Twisters, Trade Names, Transportation
- Watch it on
- Tonight Show performance (available on Gigantic DVD). Watch it on
You must be logged in to rate this. You can either login (if you have a userid) or create an account with us today.
Birdhouse In Your Soul is currently ranked #1 out of 868. (458 wikians have given it an average rating of 9.31)