New York City (Theme)
From This Might Be A Wiki
- This article is about songs which make reference to New York City. For the TMBG song, see New York City.
Mentions by borough
Songs which single out specific boroughs:
- Austin - "We're They Might Be Giants of Brooklyn, New York"
- Dan Vs. Cog - "Born out in Brooklyn (Brooklyn!)"
- Heptone - Named for a Flatbush record shop
- I Palindrome I (Dial-A-Song) - "She king of Brooklyn she"
- Idlewild - "See the sideshow at Steeplechase Park..."
- Moles, Hounds, Bears, Bees And Hares - "Rabbits were coney / Out on this island right hare"
- New York City - "Brooklyn Bridge..." "...Coney Island"
- She's Actual Size - "We take you to Brooklyn"
- Token Back To Brooklyn
- Twisting (Demo) - "She says there's a place in Brooklyn..."
- Dashiki Lover - Set in Andy Warhol's Factory
- Dog Walker - "Showdown at the Battery"
- Electric Car - "To the west side in an electric car"
- Four Of Two - "Underneath the big clock at the corner of 5th Avenue and 22nd Street"
- Holland Globetrotters Theme - Play on the Harlem Globetrotters basketball team (who, interestingly, were never based in Harlem)
- I'll Sink Manhattan
- New York City - Several locations of Manhattan are mentioned in this song including the Statue of Liberty, the Staten Island Ferry, Katz's, Tiffany's, Central Park, Brooklyn Bridge, the Empire State Building, Times Square, and the Rockefeller Center.
- On The Drag - "From 1st Avenue to A", "The allure of St. Mark's Place"
- Sleeping In The Flowers - Flans has said that this song is about "getting stoned in Central Park".
- Tesla - "The Hotel New Yorker"
- Ana Ng - "All alone at the '64 World's Fair"
- Cowtown - "The yellow Roosevelt Avenue leaf overturned"
- Idlewild - The former name of an airport in Jamaica. It was renamed to JFK International Airport in 1963.
- New York City - "...Staten Island Ferry..."
And of course, songs that just mention the city generally, without mentioning an exact place:
- Ask Me Another - "People of New York City"
- Cyclops Rock - "I'm stuck in a van outside of New York."
- Dan Vs. Cog - "And he's come from New York City"
- Distant Antenna - "A remote broadcast tower outside New York City"
- Extra Krispy - "It's like once you get down in New York City"
- Istanbul (Not Constantinople) - "Even Old New York was once New Amsterdam"
- Istanbul (Not Constantinople) (Brownsville Mix) - "You ain't in New York City, baby"
- P.S.O.K. (Paul Stanley Of KISS) - "In New York City. For New York."
- Where Do They Make Balloons? - "New York has tall buildings" (although the animation on the CD outlines the whole state)
- House of Mayors - an EP based on a fictitious New York Hall of Mayors.