2014 Archived News
From This Might Be A Wiki
December 2014[edit | edit source]
- December 19, 2014
- TMBG has released a new song about Dial-A-Song called "I Wasn't Listening". Check out the music video on YouTube—William Allen White stars!
- Danny Weinkauf has also premiered a new video for "Champion of the Spelling Bee" from No School Today today on Zooglobble.
- December 9, 2014
- They Might Be Giants' Dial-A-Song service has relaunched at a new toll-free number, (844) 387-6962. Check out the full press release at Girlie Action, and call to hear "Got Getting Up So Down"! New songs will begin going into rotation on January 5.
November 2014[edit | edit source]
- November 29, 2014
- TMBG's version of Istanbul featured on BBC's "Strictly Come Dancing" on UK television today. The music was performed by the house band but The Guardian notes that it is TMBG's arrangement. The performance is on YouTube
- November 28, 2014
- The Asbestos Records reissue of Flood on colored vinyl for Record Store Black Friday hits stores today.
- November 24, 2014
- Danny Weinkauf and Hank Green have announced the winner of the official music video contest for their song "The Kidney That Lived In Four People" from No School Today. Congratulations to Jasha Minkjen, whose winning video is now available on YouTube!
- November 17, 2014
- On November 19, in honor of the 65th anniversary of James Ensor's death, Mankato, Minnesota's KMSU will be doing a TMBG marathon from 6-11:30 a.m. Central Time, with more TMBG being played during some of the other shows throughout the day. The setlist has been posted here.
- November 14, 2014
- Daily deal shopping site meh.com has unveiled their new theme song by They Might Be Giants, "Meh (They Could Try Harder)". Listen on YouTube.
- November 7, 2014
- TMBG have announced that 2015 will herald the third year of the Instant Fan Club. There are three levels: Regular, for $98; Super-President, for $250; and the "budget" Dial-A-Song Direct option for $30. More information is available at tmbgifc.com.
- November 4, 2014
- TMBG have announced that they will play a monthly stand at the Music Hall of Williamsburg in Brooklyn, NY on the last Sunday of every month in 2015. Each show will feature songs from the 2015 Dial-A-Song project as well as a unique theme. Themes announced thus far include First Album Live, Flood, Album Release Party to celebrate the release of a new album in April, and The Else. While January's show is already sold out, tickets for February through May go on sale on 11/7, including a four-pack that comes with a free T-shirt. Visit the Shows page for ticket links and updates on future shows in the stand.
- Slate has released an episode of their Working podcast consisting of a 27-minute interview with John Flansburgh, titled "How Does the Guitarist in They Might Be Giants Work?".
- November 2, 2014
- Just in time for the holidays, Danny Weinkauf has released a new single, "Wonderful Christmas Day"! You can preview the song here and download it from Amazon or iTunes.
October 2014[edit | edit source]
- October 21, 2014
- Asbestos Records has announced that Flood will be released on colored vinyl in a limited edition of 3000 copies for Record Store Day Black Friday. Additionally, the album has been reissued as an audiophile pressing by the European label Music On Vinyl.
- October 9, 2014
- They Day comes but once a year! Ready your sharpies for this Saturday.
- October 3, 2014
- A very happy birthday to Dan Miller! Help celebrate his birthday by adding Fox's new show Gracepoint to your watchlist. The music for the series is co-produced by Dan and composed by none other than Marty Beller!
- October 2, 2014
- TMBG will be re-launching Dial-A-Song at dialasong.com with a new song every week starting in January 2015. See the teaser here.
- October 1, 2014
- There's an article about Danny Weinkauf's No School Today in the Long Island Herald.
September 2014[edit | edit source]
- September 22, 2014
- TMBG will be appearing on Saving My Tomorrow, an HBO miniseries about children and the environment. The series begins on December 15.
- September 12, 2014
- A near-complete session mix of the 2000 recording of "On The Drag" has been released via the They Might Be Giants Podcast.
- September 4, 2014
- John Flansburgh co-hosted the September 4th episode of Ask Me Another, entitled "What's the Magic Word." Listen here.
August 2014[edit | edit source]
- August 4, 2014
- TMBG are releasing old copies of (She Was A) Hotel Detective and They'll Need A Crane for Cassette Store Day on September 27.
July 2014[edit | edit source]
- July 12, 2014
- John Flansburgh has written a piece for Slate, titled "1234: Goodbye Tommy Ramone", about the passing of former Ramones drummer Tommy Ramone.
- Dan Miller has written a short piece for 2paragraphs on the passing of legendary jazz bassist Charlie Haden.
- July 10, 2014
- Happy birthday to TMBG's own King of the Drums Marty Beller!
June 2014[edit | edit source]
- June 27, 2014
- First Album Live, a collection of performances of songs from They Might Be Giants from TMBG's 2013 tour, is available for free on tmbg.com. Download it here.
- A short bonus episode of Ask Me Another features an interview with TMBG about Dial-A-Song. Download it here.
- June 14, 2014
- Danny Weinkauf was interviewed by The Rock Father about the relationship between his role as a father and his role as a musician.
- June 12, 2014
- TMBW would like to wish John Linnell a very happy 55th birthday!
- June 4, 2014
- The latest music video from Danny Weinkauf's No School Today is out! "Cast My Vote", now available on YouTube directed by Tim Labonte.
May 2014[edit | edit source]
- May 27, 2014
- In celebration of today's release of Idlewild, a 24-minute video for "Tesla" has been released, featuring nine remixes of the song. Go watch it now!
- May 23, 2014
- Idlewild, the forthcoming They Might Be Giants compilation album due for release on May 27, can now be streamed in its entirety on SPIN.com.
- May 19, 2014
- TMBG has released the first of eight remixes of the song "Tesla" on their YouTube channel, teasing an upcoming music video for the song.
- May 12, 2014
- Check out the latest music video from Danny Weinkauf's No School Today, for the song "Ice Cream (Healthy Eating)", now available on YouTube! It's directed by frequent TMBG collaborators David Cowles and Jeremy Galante.
- May 6, 2014
- Big happy birthday wishes to Mr. John Flansburgh, who turns 54 today!
April 2014[edit | edit source]
- April 29, 2014
- Don't go to school today! Danny Weinkauf's new children's album is out; buy it now! A video for the track "Marsupial" was also released today on YouTube!
- April 28, 2014
- TMBG's new compilation album, Idlewild is now available for pre-order. Get the CD for $9.65 or MP3 download for $8.99. You can also order the album direct from the band. Get your copy today!
- April 9, 2014
- The video for the title track on No School Today has been released on Zooglobble today and can be viewed here. You can also get a free download of the track!
- April 3, 2014
- The new compilation Idlewild will be released on May 27. Cover art has already been unveiled.
February 2014[edit | edit source]
- February 25, 2014
- Apollo 18 will be re-released on vinyl through Asbestos Records in late April. Go here to order your copy.
- February 13, 2014
- Slate has adapted a portion of They Might Be Giants' Flood from Bloomsbury Publishing's 33⅓ series, titled "Say I'm the Only Bee in Your Bonnet," about the influence and legacy of "Birdhouse In Your Soul".
- February 6, 2014
- They Might Be Giants is working on a compilation album titled Idlewild. They have announced a contest to create a video for one of the songs that will appear on the album, "Am I Awake?".
- February 5, 2014
- Danny Weinkauf's new solo children's album, No School Today will be released on April 29th, 2014! The album is being released on Idlewild Recordings and Megaforce Records. This is the first non-TMBG album to be released on the Idlewild label.
January 2014[edit | edit source]
- January 30, 2014
- They Might Be Giants is scheduled for two special shows at the USA Science & Engineering Festival in Washington, DC on April 26, 2014. The shows are at 1pm and 4pm. Both shows are FREE and all ages (but Flansy says the first will be geared toward kids and the second toward adults).