2012 Archived News
From This Might Be A Wiki
December 2012[edit | edit source]
- December 12, 2012
- They Might Be Giants have announced the title of their new album: Nanobots, due March 5. The album will consist of 25 tracks over 45 minutes. Rolling Stone has an exclusive MP3 of a new song from the album, "Call You Mom". Get it and read more here.
- December 4, 2012
- Happy Birthday to Danny Weinkauf!!
November 2012[edit | edit source]
- November 29, 2012
- Working with Hine, and Paul Sahre, TMBG have announced a new iPhone streaming audio app will arrive in January. According to Flansburgh, it will be "New every day, and a brand new song every week." See a picture of the app's home screen here. ,
- November 23, 2012
- Shop the TMBG Merch Store for a Black Friday/Cyber Monday discount of 20% off all items till Monday night.
- November 16, 2012
- The Johns discuss the songwriting and recording process for the new album in a new interview with Billboard. TMBW even gets a quick mention as "the site that tracks all our crap".
- November 14, 2012
- TMBG has added a slew of early 2013 tour dates. Check out our Shows page to find out when they will be playing at a venue near you!
- November 4, 2012
- They Might Be Giants have put up their 2012 Holiday Bundle for pre-order, and it's available 50% off for the next two weeks! The bundle includes the new video compilation DVD Them Ain't Big Eye Ants, a deck of playing cards designed by Paul Sahre, a Drinky Crow T-shirt designed by Tony Millionaire, a travel mug, reproductions of mid-1980s They Might Be Giants show posters, and "three small secret things". Pre-order now!
- November 3, 2012
- With the United States presidential election coming up, They Might Be Giants posted a new video for "Vote Or Don't" on YouTube! Watch or don't!
October 2012[edit | edit source]
- October 12, 2012
- They Might Be Giants have announced a 2012 Holiday Bundle, which will include a "new 2001-2012 video compilation DVD, a travel mug, a New Years Eve shirt, and a most amazing deck of playing cards"! More details will be revealed in two weeks.
- October 9, 2012
- Tomorrow night in New York City, John Flansburgh will be introducing a lecture by Paul Sahre, a recent TMBG collaborator most recognized for creating the iconic Join Us cover artwork. Tickets are $10 for students and AIGA members and $30 for the general public. More details can be found here.
- October 8, 2012
- They Day is just around the corner! Prepare your foreheads!
- October 3, 2012
- Happy Birthday, Dan Miller!
- October 2, 2012
- The video for the extended version of "Alphabet of Nations" is now up. Watch it on ! You can read about the making of the video in Wired.
August 2012[edit | edit source]
- August 31, 2012
- 33⅓ has announced the next 18 books in their series. A book by Alex Reed and Philip Sandifer on TMBG's Flood has made the final cut and will be published between 2013 and 2014! More information is available on the 33⅓ blog.
- August 16, 2012
- Blast magazine recently posted the list of songs players can dance along to in Just Dance 4, which will be released this October. TMBG's "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" is set to appear in the game.
July 2012[edit | edit source]
- July 26, 2012
- Robin Goldwasser, John Flansburgh, and the They Might Be Giants Instant Fan Club ukuleles are featured in the latest episode of Meow Meow Music. Check it out!
- July 25, 2012
- For the next two weeks, Humble Bundle, a charitable organization, is offering downloads of six albums, including TMBG's Album Raises New And Troubling Questions, and releases from Jonathan Coulton, OK Go, MC Frontalot of the Mink Car Cover, and other independent artists. The buyer can name their price for the downloads and choose what percentage of the price goes to the artist, charity, and the Humble Bundle organization.
- July 24, 2012
- They Might Be Giants want to play a show in Australia on their 2013 tour! In order to "convince club owners that they exist", the band is asking Australian fans to "like" the Facebook page for Australian TMBG fans and to spread the word to friends and enemies alike.
- July 10, 2012
- Happy Birthday, Marty Beller!
June 2012[edit | edit source]
- June 27, 2012
- This Saturday's season finale of Wits, featuring TMBG and Amy Sedaris, will be broadcast live on the Minnesota Public Radio site at 8pm Central. It will also be archived after the broadcast.
- June 26, 2012
- The Deluxe Edition of No!, featuring six bonus live tracks and the bonus extended version of "Alphabet Of Nations", is now available for download from Amazon for $8.99. Get it today!
- Downloads in FLAC and MP3 are also available from theymightbegiants.com, and the first 144 shoppers to purchase the download with the No! T-shirt will get $5 off their order and a free TMBG toothbrush!
- June 21, 2012
- TMBG is seeking submissions for a video for "Alphabet Of Nations" from the deluxe edition of No!, featuring Instagram photos of citizens of all the countries mentioned in the song. All the details are here.
- June 12, 2012
- Wishes for the happiest of all possible birthdays go out today to John Linnell, who is turning 53!
- June 11, 2012
- The artwork and tracklisting for the deluxe edition of No! has been released.
May 2012[edit | edit source]
- May 31, 2012
- No! will be re-issued digitally on June 26 with seven bonus tracks, including a live version of "Clap Your Hands", a new studio version of "Alphabet Of Nations", and a live version of "Robot Parade". The AV Club (home of "Tubthumping") has a stream of Clap Your Hands, here.
- May 30, 2012
- TMBG appeared on WFMU's Seven Second Delay today. You can listen to the performance in the show's archives. TMBG appears at about 43:30.
- May 6, 2012
- Extremely happy birthday wishes to Mr. John Flansburgh, who is 52 today!
April 2012[edit | edit source]
- April 27, 2012
- John Flansburgh himself has initiated This Might Be A Wiki's next major undertaking, in our never-ending quest to contain all the world's knowledge about They Might Be Giants: "This Day in TMBG History". Read about how you can participate here!
March 2012[edit | edit source]
- March 30, 2012
- John Flansburgh has recently been interviewed by the Design Matters podcast. You can listen here.
- March 27, 2012
- Podcast 49 has been released! You can download it here. Flansburgh has also mentioned that the TMBG podcast will see weekly releases in the near future.
- March 26, 2012
- In honor of the 20th anniversary of Apollo 18, a fan-based collection of Interactive Fiction games has been put together, one for each song (and Fingertip) on the album. Check it out!
- March 22, 2012
- The They Might Be Giants Instant Fan Club has opened up membership to the general public till April 26! There are just 2,500 spots available, so check it out! Current members should check their email for the official update.
- March 13, 2012
- Curtis Silver has written a story for wired.com's GeekDad discussing TMBG's musical influence. The article even contains quotes from our own admin, Brad. Check out the article here!
- March 9, 2012
- TMBG appeared on Spare the Rock, Spoil the Child and The Nerdist. In the Spare the Rock discussion, Flansburgh states that the band is working on a new EP for kids!
- Check out these other recent performances / interviews from Northampton that we neglected to post:
- March 8, 2012
- TMBG shares stories about their life on the road in an interview with FUSE. And be sure to click on Flansburgh's face at the end, to see an interview about the making of their latest albums.
- March 7, 2012
- John & John chatted on on WFMU's 7 Second Delay today. The show is archived here.
- March 5, 2012
- Asbestos Records has announced that they will be pressing vinyl copies of Flood and Apollo 18 this year!
- As part of their "What's in My Bag?" series, Amoeba Records has posted a video of John Flansburgh discussing various LPs he purchased from the Amoeba Hollywood record store. Dig it!
- March 1, 2012
- The DVD for Here Come The ABCs has been certified platinum by the RIAA, having sold over 100,000 copies!
February 2012[edit | edit source]
- February 27, 2012
- LSU's student magazine, Legacy, has posted a short interview with John Linnell conducted during the band's tour stop in New Orleans.
- February 18, 2012
- Working Undercover For The Man has been made available on iTunes! You can purchase it here.
- February 16, 2012
- The band will be performing in studio on WNRN at approximately 3:30pm Eastern. Tune in here. (Update: The performance has been archived and can be downloaded from wnrn.org)
- February 15, 2012
- The University of Maryland paper has posted a brief interview with John Linnell.
- February 12, 2012
- John Flansburgh via Facebook: "TMBG is very saddened to hear of Whitney Houston's passing--so unexpected and so very sad. Out of respect we're retiring the song Marty Beller Mask from public performance."
- February 11, 2012
- Chattanooga's WUTC has posted an hour long conversation with Flansburgh as a podcast.
- February 10, 2012
- Charlottesville's Daily Progress has posted a short interview with John Linnell.
- February 3, 2012
- There are a couple of new interviews up: one with John Linnell in the St. Augustine Record and one with John Flansburgh in the Tampa Tribune.
- February 2, 2012
- NOLA Defender has posted a playlist from John Flansburgh of ten tracks "that he likes".
- There's also an interview with John Linnell up at nola.com.
- February 1, 2012
- Read the new Charlotte Magazine Q&A with John Linnell.
January 2012[edit | edit source]
- January 30, 2012
- A new interview with John Linnell has been posted to Examiner.com.
- Also, Long Tall Weekend has recently become available on iTunes!
- January 29, 2012
- Tulsa World has posted an interview with John Flansburgh.
- January 27, 2012
- If you missed last night's performance of "When Will You Die" on Conan, you can catch it here. The band also performed a live version of Ana Ng, which is a web exclusive.
- January 26, 2012
- Don't forget to tune in to Conan tonight at 11:00pm Eastern (on TBS) to catch the band's performance.
- January 24, 2012
- There's an interview with John Linnell in today's Phoenix New Times.
- January 19, 2012
- LaundroMatinee has posted videos of TMBG performing "Cloisonné" and "Can't Keep Johnny Down". You can check them out here!
- January 12, 2012
- Check out NBC New York's interview with John Flansburgh.
- January 9, 2012
- A few items for today: