TMBG has occasionally mentioned rhyme lyrically.
- Drink! - "But what words rhyme with buried alive?"
- Hate The Villanelle - "With these picky rules and odd jigsaw rhymes"
- In addition, the lyrics of the song are a villanelle, a type of poem with a strict rhyme scheme.
- Rhythm Section Want Ad - "Plenty of time to turn mistakes into rhyme"
- Share A Story - "There's so much to rhyme that we don't know what to do"
- Three Might Be Duende - "Lost in his rhymes"
- Which Describes How You're Feeling - "You said I'm feeling fine, but it didn't really rhyme, it didn't rhyme, overseas ... but your lie doesn't rhyme with the word overseas"
Songs with no rhymes
On some occasions, TMBG songs contain few or very scarce rhymes.
Unexpected lack of rhymes
A few songs cut out single rhymes in key places, often emphatically.
- Counterfeit Faker - The rhyme scheme leads one to believe that the Counterfeit Faker is carrying something more intimidating - "There's no way to measure / The damage he has done / Counterfeit faker / Carries a grudge"
- E Eats Everything - "H burns food so horrible / All I tastes is smoke / J just likes drinking juice / And K drinks only soda" intentionally avoids the brand name Coke.
- I'll Sink Manhattan - In the line "So before I get through / I'll find your answering machine and I'll sink it first", "first" was intentionally chosen over the rhyming "sink it too".
- Kiss Me, Son Of God - "Now you're the only one here who can tell me if it's true. That you love me and I love me"
- My Evil Twin - Includes multiple fake-outs:
- "That resembles a Republican president from long ago / I'd hate to see you leave" (rather than "go")
- "My evil twin / Bad-weather friend / He always wants to start / When I want to begin" (rather than "end")
- "I lay my head / On the railroad track / Stare at the sky / All painted up" (rather than "black")
- "Two years ago / Moved from my town / I was looking up / Past the city lights" (I was looking "down" might be expected here)
- When It Rains It Snows - "There's a note on the door/ and the note will say when it rains it snows" — obviously one would expect to hear when it rains it "pours".
- Your Racist Friend - In the line "He let the contents of the bottle do the thinking / Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding" one would expect "drinking"