TMBG has occasionally mentioned rhyme lyrically.
Songs with no rhymes
On some occasions, TMBG songs contain few or very scarce rhymes.
Unexpected lack of rhymes
A few songs cut out single rhymes in key places, often emphatically.
- Counterfeit Faker - The rhyme scheme leads one to believe that the Counterfeit Faker is carrying something more intimidating - "There's no way to measure / The damage he has done / Counterfeit faker / Carries a grudge"
- E Eats Everything - "H burns food so horrible / All I tastes is smoke / J just likes drinking juice / And K drinks only soda" intentionally avoids the brand name Coke.
- I'll Sink Manhattan - In the line "So before I get through / I'll find your answering machine and I'll sink it first", "first" was intentionally chosen over the rhyming "sink it too".
- Kiss Me, Son Of God - "Now you're the only one here who can tell me if it's true. That you love me and I love me"
- My Evil Twin - Includes multiple fake-outs:
- "That resembles a Republican president from long ago / I'd hate to see you leave" (rather than "go")
- "My evil twin / Bad-weather friend / He always wants to start / When I want to begin" (rather than "end")
- "I lay my head / On the railroad track / Stare at the sky / All painted up" (rather than "black")
- "Two years ago / Moved from my town / I was looking up / Past the city lights" (I was looking "down" might be expected here)
- When It Rains It Snows - "There's a note on the door/ and the note will say when it rains it snows" — obviously one would expect to hear when it rains it "pours".
- Your Racist Friend - In the line "He let the contents of the bottle do the thinking / Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding" one would expect "drinking"