From This Might Be A Wiki
(Redirected from Telephony)
Songs about or referencing telephones, telegraphs, or similar communication methods.
Central theme[edit | edit source]
- Distant Antenna
- Hidden Track - "Your call is very very very very important to us. Please hold, and your call will be answered by the next available operator. This message will not be repeated."
- I Can Hear You - Wireless phones, intercoms
- I Wasn't Listening - "The songs on that telephone line"
- Kendra McCormick - The song was recorded as an answering machines message
- Phone Cord
- Rabid Child - "Rabid Child stays at home, talks on a C.B."
- She's Actual Size (New Live Version) - Flansburgh impersonates an interactive voice response system throughout the extended drum solo.
- Wake Up Call
Briefly mentioned[edit | edit source]
- Absolutely Bill's Mood - "He calls when I'm alone and he calls when I'm not home," plus the phoned-in guitar solo
- Ana Ng - Features Lisa Klapp's voice recorded over a telephone, and the song includes a typical telephone ring. Additionally, several telephones are used in the video
- Apophenia - "Middleburgh Police Department how may I direct your call?"
- Bed Bed Bed - Phones ringing in background
- The Bloodmobile - messages delivered by the blood in a telegraphic manner
- Cage & Aquarium - "Then you hear a moment too late this sound coming over the phone"
- Complete Paranoia - "The phone rang..." and "We've traced the phone call..."
- Damn Good Times - "She makes a lot of calls" (are these telephone calls, or curtain calls?)
- Destination Moon - "Don't bother to call this room; there's nobody here who can pick up"
- Don't Let's Start - "You are the phone"
- The Famous Polka - "But when the phone inside her rib cage rings, it's not for me"
- Feast Of Lights - "You never call"
- The Fellowship Of Hell - "The baby had a baby, got no calls at all"
- For Science - "sirens declare..."
- Got Getting Up So Down - "House key, cell phone"
- The Guitar (The Lion Sleeps Tonight) - "The lion's on the phone", telephone used in video
- Hot Cha - "Then the phone rang off the hook"
- I Need Some Lovin' - "To call my phone machine and hang me up at night"
- I Should Be Allowed To Think - "I should have a call-in show"
- If I Wasn't Shy - "I'd burn the all the intercoms"
- I'll Sink Manhattan - "I'll find your answering machine"
- I'm Def -"Why don't you leave a message?"
- I'm Your Boyfriend Now - "To call you up on the phone"
- Impossibly New - "The corner phone booth in its youth"
- It's Kickin' In - "Panic call to her best friend on the phone"
- I've Got A Match - "Put down the phone"
- Love Is Eternity - "And Lisa, when you're surrounded by debt...Trapped on a cellphone"
- Make It The Same - "If I called you on Sunday, would you be there?"
- Mr. Hughes Says - "Tell the wind and tell the phone"
- Mr. Mischief Night - "Hear the ringing phone in my earpiece and from across the lawn"
- Music Jail, Pt. 1 & 2 - "Just one call allowed"
- My Man - theme of communication between body parts, music theme representing telegraph
- New York City - "You called me last night on the telephone"
- Operators Are Standing By - Telephone operators
- Pencil Rain - Morse code message played
- Protagonist - "My scenes are cut out / I'm just on speakerphone"
- Piece Of Dirt - "A woman's voice on the telephone"
- Seven - "Talking on the telephone"
- The Shadow Government - "I picked up my broken phone"
- She's An Angel - "The secretary says he's on another line, can I hold for a long, long time?"
- (She Was A) Hotel Detective - "And she's tappin' the calls"
- So Long, Mockingbird - "Laughing on the telephone line"
- Sold My Mind To The Kremlin - "An intercom with just one button" / "That was your sole communication"
- Someone Keeps Moving My Chair - "Telephone call for Mr. Horrible"
- Starry Eyes - "We paid for all the phone calls"
- Swing Is A Word - "387-6962" the dial-a-song phone number
- They'll Need A Crane - "Don't call me at work again"
- Turn Around - "Called me up from a phone near my building"
- Unsupervised, I Hit My Head - "I hear the phone ring"
- What Did I Do To You? - "Will they be phoning us at 3 a.m.?"
- The World's Address (Joshua Fried Remix) - "You wanna give me a 10-9 on that, pig-pen?"
- Yeh Yeh - "I call my baby and ask her what we could do"
Ringtone songs[edit | edit source]
- Call Connected Thru The NSA
- Devil Spawn
- Phone Phone Phone
- Ring Ring
- Friend Or Foe
- My Other Phone Is A Boom Car
- Untangle The Phone Cord
Honorable mentions[edit | edit source]
- Dial-A-Song: 20 Years Of They Might Be Giants
- I Palindrome I (EP): cover art features a photograph of two rotary telephones.