I Palindrome I
|song name||I Palindrome I|
|artist||They Might Be Giants|
|releases||Apollo 18, I Palindrome I (EP), Dial-A-Song: 20 Years Of They Might Be Giants, A User's Guide to They Might Be Giants: Melody, Fidelity, Quantity, Flood + Apollo 18, 50,000,000 They Might Be Giants Songs Can't Be Wrong|
|first played||February 1, 1992 (199 known performances)|
|sung by||John Linnell, John Flansburgh backs|
- John Flansburgh on the song and its Dial-A-Song demo in 2012: "I made a quick song for DAS with the title—which really was a sketch I can't even remember—and then handed off the title to Mr. [Linnell]."
- Linnell reported on WNYC's Studio 360 in May 2001 that he wrote this after attending a poetry reading by Hal Sirowitz. Sirowitz is known for his book of dark verse called, Mother Said. He also had an EP on the Hello Recording Club, and his poetry was featured in Podcast 47. Linnell on Sirowitz's work:
I always think of the one where the mother complains about - I can't recite it for you, but it's the one where she's complaining that he feeds crumbs to the bugs and he never gives anything to his mom. [...] I guess I must have written ["I Palindrome I"] after I saw Hal. It starts with the line "Someday Mother will die and I'll get the money." Except for the fact that Hal's mother didn't have money, I think that would fit in with his work.
- A number of palindromes (of various types) are featured in the song:
- "Son I am able she said, though you scare me. Watch, said I, beloved, I said, watch me scare you though. Said she, able am I, Son," is a palindrome which uses words as units instead of letters. This is a form of antimetabole.
- Flans sings "Man o nam" and the classic palindrome, "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age".
- The length of the track is 2:22, which is a numerical palindrome.
- Michael McKean read this songs lyrics like a poem in the extras of Gigantic.
- Flans has apologized to his mother before playing this song at live concerts.
- The line "a snake head eating the head on the opposite side" refers to the ancient symbol ouroboros.
Age, Animals, Backwards, Clothes, Death, Funny But Sad, Heads, Kingdom Of Loathing Reference, Love, Medical, Mirrors And Reflections, Money, Nonsense Words, Recursion, Relatives, Shapes, Swear Words, Time
You must be logged in to rate this. You can either login (if you have a userid) or create an account with us today.
I Palindrome I is currently ranked #23 out of 910. (230 wikians have given it an average rating of 9.07)