|song name||South Carolina|
|releases||State Songs, TMBG Clock Radio, Podcast 55, 50,000,000 They Might Be Giants Songs Can't Be Wrong|
|first played||October 7, 1995 (16 known performances)|
|sung by||John Linnell|
- This is the same recording as South Carolina (Hello EP) (1994), but mixed differently.
- Originally this song would have been the single accompanying State Songs, but because it was too long and there wasn't enough room for it on the die-cut vinyl, the record company went with "Montana" instead.
- A song about getting rich in the mythical American way: getting hurt and suing someone. (In this case, by being in a bicycle accident.) TMBG's Dial-A-Song service was created after John Linnell himself was injured in a bicycle accident.
- Allusion is made to the Hammerstein/Kern song "Ol' Man River", which has the line "Tote dat barge, lift dat bale".
- From the State Songs liner notes:
The Official State Shell of the Palmetto State is the Lettered Olive. The State Dance is the Shag, and the State Insect is the Praying Mantis.
Accidents, Addiction, Compulsion, Bodily Mutilation, Colors, Food, French, Funny But Sad, Heads, Language, Letters Of The Alphabet, Medical, Mirrors And Reflections, Occupations, References To Other Songs Or Musicians, Shapes, Size, Tableware, Transportation, Upside Down, US States
You must be logged in to rate this. You can either login (if you have a userid) or create an account with us today.
South Carolina is currently ranked #22 out of 908. (119 wikians have given it an average rating of 9.08)