From This Might Be A Wiki
|song name||Snail Shell|
|artist||They Might Be Giants|
|releases||Back To Skull, Snail Shell (Single), John Henry, Direct From Brooklyn, Dial-A-Song: 20 Years Of They Might Be Giants, John Henry + Factory Showroom, 50,000,000 They Might Be Giants Songs Can't Be Wrong|
|first played||December 3, 1993 (184 known performances)|
|sung by||John Linnell, John Flansburgh harmonizes|
- The song Complete Paranoia can be heard by playing the alternate audio track of this song on the Direct From Brooklyn DVD.
- The music video was directed by Nico Beyer and was shot in Berlin.
- According to Brian Doherty, "This song was a Linnell composition and there was a lot of hope in the Giants’ camp that it would match the success of Birdhouse In Your Soul. We traveled to East Berlin to shoot this video in a television museum. In it, you’ll notice that I never open my eyes. For some reason, the director insisted that I play with my eyes closed, as a way of conveying intensity and drama. Ha? What? Anyway…did you notice the dude in the electric chair? The original script read that this guy’s character would get his head shaved on an operating table before going to the electric chair. When it came to shooting the scene, the actor cried like a baby as the electric shavers turned on. The director took pity and omitted the part where the guy gets his head shaved. "
- Brian Doherty and Tony Maimone originally were not supposed to appear in the video. "They would have enjoyed the travel savings and hired two Germans to mimick the bass and drum parts."
- The song appears to be somewhat influenced by the 1969 hit, "Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)" by Sly and the Family Stone.
You must be logged in to rate this. You can either login (if you have a userid) or create an account with us today.
Snail Shell is currently ranked #228 out of 910. (143 wikians have given it an average rating of 8.66)