What is this?
Can someone please explain to me what this "AT" means. This is on my cassette of Don't Let's Start.
- yeah, this is on mine too (both the bar/none and restless releases). not sure why it is missing from the image we have! i always assumed it was some sort of misprinting. -Apollo (colloquia!) 19:48, 2 May 2013 (EDT)
It's not my birthday, it's not today...
On the Main Page, This Day In TMBG History says today is John Linnell's birthday, which is not true at all. Could someone fix this error? I don't know why it says so, as Linnell' birthday is stated correctly as June 12 in This_Day_In_TMBG_History/June. --Freakiosis (talk) 08:05, 2 June 2013 (EDT)
Suggestion: "Listen on Youtube" section
Recently TMBG have uploaded selections from a bunch of their albums on their official YouTube channel, (e.g.Dirt Bike) However, as it stands, there does not seem to be a logical place to put these links. They are not music videos, nor are they downloads. I propose we add a "Listen on Youtube" section somewhere on the individual song pages for these uploaded songs, possibly in the empty space next to the "Free Downloads" section. Thoughts? -WhatIsThatThing (talk) 01:28, 6 June 2013 (EDT)
- Since these are officially sanctioned by the band, I think it would be a great idea to link to them on the wiki. But the ultimate decision will lie with an admin. Maybe a bot could be tasked with linking to them all? --MisterMe (talk) 08:00, 7 June 2013 (EDT)
- I think it's a great idea, we just have to outline a plan for it and there's probably going to be a data entry aspect in rounding up all the video IDs (which shouldn't take too long). It'll be along the same line as the "available for streaming on Clock Radio" row we had in the Downloads section, but better since it links directly to the song! -CapitalQ ♫ talk ♪ 12:34, 7 June 2013 (EDT)
AUS rereleases of Pink Album and Lincoln
I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but... 37 and 36 tracks? There must be more on there than just the EPs from those eras, then. I imagine they'll have the Then: The Earlier Years bonus tracks, as that has 36 tracks per disc, but then that still leaves one extra track on They Might Be Giants. Are they adding the single mix of (She Was A) Hotel Detective or Don't Let's Start? Or is it something entirely different? Finally a CD release of Hell Hotel, perhaps?
- yes, the bonus tracks include the Then extras as well as the single mixes of Hotel and DLS (in addition to their album mixes). -- 16:44, 6 June 2013 (EDT)
Expanded AUS iTunes Editions
apparently there are expanded versions of They Might Be Giants and Lincoln on the Australian itunes store
--Guero (talk) 04:25, 7 June 2013 (EDT)
- Huh, that's certainly not the fully number of tracks that was promised by Breakaway. Interesting. --Duke33 09:10, 7 June 2013 (EDT)
Little edit please
The latest change to the Main Page causes this little bit - edit<span class="hide">tagline</span> - to appear as edittagline in Monobook. ~ magbatz 14:50, 8 June 2013 (EDT)
- see here -Apollo (colloquia!) 16:00, 8 June 2013 (EDT)
- Well I'm sorry I missed that fun conversation. Personally I don't see any easier resolution to this caching issue than just scrapping Azure. ~ magbatz 16:24, 8 June 2013 (EDT)
- +1 -Apollo (colloquia!) 16:32, 8 June 2013 (EDT)
Wikipedia has recently added a new feature through which editors can thank each other for good or constructive edits that aren't substantial/what-have-you enough to warrant a talk page post. is this something we could have here on TMBW? i've been saying for years i wish we could "like" edits, and this seems like a pretty good way to do it. -Apollo (colloquia!) 20:03, 18 July 2013 (EDT)
All Time Top Ten Podcast?
Not sure if this qualifies as a "Recent Event," but the host of this podcast shared his "Top Ten They Might Be Giants Songs" episode on Tumblr:
I'll leave it to you real Wikinistas to decide if it's worthy of inclusion. (Personally, I think it's a good listen, though the hosts are off on a few facts). CallMeMommyMarshmello
Liddell and Flansbugh
- They Might Be Giants + Moon Hooch
- Prospect Park Bandshell
- 7:30pm, free
- They Might Be Giants' two Johns--Liddell and Flansburgh--raise the white flag to our cultural ADD epidemic on their recent Nanobots, an album of very short songs (remember Morgan Fisher's classic Miniatures?) set to elaborate pop arrangements. Moon Hooch is a primordial-groove trio consisting of saxophonists Mike Wilbur and Wenzi McGowan and drummer James Muschler, whose sound is loud, proud, and deliriously unrefined.
-The Village Voice, The 10 Best Concerts in New York This Weekend
-OldpineboxTalk 17:46, 9 August 2013 (EDT)
- EPIC FAIL... --MisterMe (talk) 19:38, 9 August 2013 (EDT)
- let's not forget good old "wenzi"... -Apollo (colloquia!) 22:25, 9 August 2013 (EDT)
So, the band seems to have uploaded all the songs from all their albums onto their youtube account. Should we link these videos on the songs' pages? —The thing Talk 23:17, 21 August 2013 (EDT)
- see above. -Apollo (colloquia!) 00:04, 22 August 2013 (EDT)
How To Do Everything podcast
The last episode of one of my favorite podcasts, How To Do Everything, features Linnell talking about toilet metaphors and the song Women And Men. It's probably not recent events worthy, but it made me really excited; it deserves at least a mention here. -OldpineboxTalk 01:13, 22 August 2013 (EDT)
Then 2 and 3, UK
Nothing new, but it's cool that all these out-of-print (excepting WDTSS) b-sides will be in print again. ~ veggieman 22:45, 7 November 2013 (EST)
When is our 10 year celebration over? -- CJSF (talk) 16:59, 14 January 2014 (EST)
- mid-february, technically. -- 17:03, 14 January 2014 (EST)
- Now? ;-) -- CJSF (talk) 08:05, 7 April 2014 (EDT)
Raw HTML showing up on gig pages
See here for example. The links to venues, etc on the Setlist Search show up as raw HTML instead of what it should be. Dagoth Ur, Mad God (talk) 23:20, 18 January 2014 (EST)
- I've been working on it. Thanks! --Duke33 13:54, 21 January 2014 (EST)
Personalized ringtone song
A fan recently posted this on the Tumblr. It's his personalized ringtone song that he got for being an IFC super-president (or something like that), and it's pretty darn catchy for a twenty-second snippet-type song. Now that the band has officially accepted its being out in the public via the Tumblr, does that mean we can make it a "song" on here? --MisterMe (talk) 14:40, 12 March 2014 (EDT)
- Considering how many Super-Presidents there were and so how many of these there are, and considering that they're such throwaway things (much as I love mine) that are no real contribution to the canon of TMBG-ness, that seems entirely unnecessary to me. --Self Called Nowhere (talk) 18:36, 12 March 2014 (EDT)
Flansburgh House Up for Sale
I don't think this is quite CE-worthy but I thought people might be interested, so: "The Flansburgh House," a historically recognized house in Lincoln designed by Earl (and where they lived when Flans was a kid), is now up for sale. --Self Called Nowhere (talk) 16:34, 1 April 2014 (EDT)
- Cool, I love what I've seen of this house. Also: 'Located at the corner of Conant and Old Conant Rd'... ~ magbatz 20:51, 7 April 2014 (EDT)
I've been struggling to find a play or set list of the songs that TMBG play prior to their shows. Any assistance to locating this?
- they usually change it up depending on the tour! pretty sure flans does the pre-show mixes. i think i've heard kanye, robin, and the divinyl's classic "i touch myself" over the years, although there has been a really enormous catalogue considering flans's taste. i know someone who used to make playlists at shows after identifying each track on soundhound, but i don't know if she saved them! i'll ask her about it. flans also used to love to close with gene pitney's "backstage" (which always made me really sad), but i don't think i've heard it at any of the most recent shows i've been to. Apollo (colloquia!) 20:19, 8 May 2014 (EDT)
- I don't know if you meant me or not but regardless, I do have playlists of some of the recent pre-show playlists (though none are 100% complete). Was there a specific tour your were interested in? Or a particular song you were looking for? The playlists tend to change at least once or twice each tour. Apollo is right that Flans makes all the playlists. They basically plug an iPod into the PA (it's actually in their rider that they have control over the in house music from the time doors open until a half hour after the show ends. Yay, useless knowledge!) Anyway, if you provide more info on what you're looking for I might be able to help. --BlueCanary (talk) 00:36, 9 May 2014 (EDT)
- Thanks to the interactive tumblr, the band has provided the answer you may be seeking. Click here to read the answer. --MisterMe (talk) 08:00, 9 May 2014 (EDT)
- Indeed! I suspect that the original poster made that inquiry. However, I would caution, as Flans said, that that is only the playlist for the very end of last year and varies widely from the two or three other variations that were used in the spring, summer and fall. --BlueCanary (talk) 10:28, 9 May 2014 (EDT)
Can someone help bring this ebay listing over, by creating a page, and cropping the images? Kinda busy at the moment. --Duke33 17:21, 27 June 2014 (EDT)