Sally Boy Candy Bar
From This Might Be A Wiki
|song name||Sally Boy Candy Bar|
|artist||They Might Be Giants|
|releases||1983 Demo Tape, TMBG Unlimited - July, DialASong.com (2000-2006), TMBG Clock Radio, Podcast 32A|
|first played||December 28, 1985 (1 known performances)|
|sung by||John Flansburgh|
- Recorded in 1983 for TMBG's first demo, according to the newsletter accompanying Podcast 32A.
- The first two lines sound suspiciously like the first two of "Boys" (Dixon/Farrell): "I've been told when a boy kiss a girl, take a trip around the world."
- The line "I've been told when a fish needs a bike" refers to the feminist adage "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle," originally said by Australian writer and activist Irina Dunn.
- "Circle gets the square" is likely a reference to the tic-tac-toe based game show Hollywood Squares.
- Flansburgh described the recording process for this song:
"Sally Boy Candy Bar was assembled the way a lot of our early tracks were—recorded on a TEAC 4 track probably three individual tracks of drums played individually (thumb on a mic as a kick, or the moog as kick) real hi hat or a moog hat) and a real snare played by John L. in that case. We had bongos and they came into the mix a lot. Everything was then bounced down to one track, and the[n] we added bass and possibly an additional synth sound."
- Flansburgh has also expressed regret that this song never made it onto a proper album, and was rarely played live.
You must be logged in to rate this. You can either login (if you have a userid) or create an account with us today.
Sally Boy Candy Bar is currently ranked #109 out of 886. (53 wikians have given it an average rating of 8.87)