New York City (Theme)
From This Might Be A Wiki
- This article is about songs which make reference to New York City. For the TMBG song, see New York City.
Mentions by borough[edit | edit source]
Songs which single out specific boroughs:
Bronx[edit | edit source]
- New York City - "Co-Op City"
Brooklyn[edit | edit source]
- Austin - "We're They Might Be Giants of Brooklyn, New York"
- Dan Vs. Cog - "Born out in Brooklyn (Brooklyn!)"
- Heptone - Named for a Flatbush record shop
- I Palindrome I (Dial-A-Song) - "She king of Brooklyn she"
- Idlewild - "See the sideshow at Steeplechase Park..."
- Moles, Hounds, Bears, Bees And Hares - "Rabbits were coney / Out on this island right hare"
- New York City - "Brooklyn Bridge..." "...Coney Island"
- She's Actual Size - "We take you to Brooklyn"
- Token Back To Brooklyn
Manhattan[edit | edit source]
- Dashiki Lover - Set in Andy Warhol's Factory
- Dog Walker - "Showdown at the Battery"
- Electric Car - "To the west side in an electric car"
- Four Of Two - "Underneath the big clock at the corner of 5th Avenue and 22nd Street"
- I'll Sink Manhattan
- New York City - "Times Square, Rockefeller Center...." and about half of the other locations mentioned are in Manhattan.
- On The Drag - "From 1st Avenue to A", "The allure of St. Mark's Place"
- Sleeping In The Flowers - Flans has said that this song is about "getting stoned in Central Park".
- Tesla - "The Hotel New Yorker"
Queens[edit | edit source]
- Ana Ng - "All alone at the '64 World's Fair"
- Cowtown - "The yellow Roosevelt Avenue leaf overturned"
- Idlewild - The former name of an airport in Jamaica. It was renamed to JFK International Airport in 1963.
Staten Island[edit | edit source]
- New York City - "...Staten Island Ferry..."
General References[edit | edit source]
And of course, songs that just mention the city generally, without mentioning an exact place:
- Ask Me Another - "People of New York City"
- Cyclops Rock - "I'm stuck in a van outside of New York."
- Dan Vs. Cog - "And he's come from New York City"
- Distant Antenna - "A remote broadcast tower outside New York City"
- Extra Krispy - "It's like once you get down in New York City"
- Istanbul (Not Constantinople) - "Even Old New York was once New Amsterdam"
- Istanbul (Not Constantinople) (Brownsville Mix) - "You ain't in New York City, baby"
- P.S.O.K. (Paul Stanley Of KISS) - "In New York City. For New York."
- Where Do They Make Balloons? - "New York has tall buildings" (although the animation on the CD outlines the whole state)
Honorable Mention[edit | edit source]
- House of Mayors - an EP based on a fictitious New York Hall of Mayors.