Triops Has Three Eyes
From This Might Be A Wiki
|song name||Triops Has Three Eyes|
|artist||They Might Be Giants|
|releases||Here Come The 123s, CD/DVD Sampler|
|sung by||John Linnell, John Flansburgh, and Robin Goldwasser|
- The song debuted in December 2007 on Playhouse Disney, being added to the rotation of other Here Come The 123s songs played between programs.
- Triops (a name given to members of the order Notostraca), are small crustaceans that do, indeed, have three eyes ("two internal compound eyes and one naupliar eye in-between"). Look here for pictures.
- While a tripod is simply a term for a non-living three-legged stand, there is indeed a real-life creature nicknamed the tripod fish (the family Ipnopidae, whose most notable member is the Bathypterois grallator), which possibly inspired the "tripod" section of this song.
- This song's video directed by David Cowles and animated by Flickerlab, with Phil Lockerby being the lead animator. According to the October 27, 2021 episode of This Might Be a Podcast, which featured Cowles, this was the first video that he completed. Cowles' LinkedIn states that he worked on Here Come The 123s between December 2006 and June 2007, meaning that this video's production began sometime around December 2006.
- The video on the DVD adds a horn intro that is played during the title card; this horn intro is not present in the video that Flickerlab had made, and was edited in afterwards, as seen here. A brief closing credit sequence was also edited out of the DVD.
- When Cowles was contacted to do the video, he gave two choices to John Flansburgh on how it should be animated; either he animates the video himself, giving it a more limited look, or he could get Flickerlab, a studio he had worked with before to produce an animated pilot known as Skitterville, to do the video and have more of a smoothed out style. Flansburgh ended up choosing the latter.
- The scene where Triops hides behind the coral before emerging was put in as a suggestion from Flansburgh after he had read about the benefits of the game peek-a-boo on children, and he wanted to emulate it somehow within the video.
- On They Might Be Giants Friday Night Family Podcast
- Watch it on
- Watch it on
You must be logged in to rate this. You can either login (if you have a userid) or create an account with us today.
Triops Has Three Eyes is currently ranked #295 out of 910. (31 wikians have given it an average rating of 8.52)