Thursday Night Stand
The "Thursday Night Stand" was a series of 5 concerts held on consecutive Thursdays at The Bowery Ballroom in New York City in November of 2000. The shows were a celebration of Flood, which had just celebrated its 10th anniversary by going platinum, a preview of the about-to-be-released No! and some tracks from Mink Car, which were in gestation.
Each show had a different theme and a different setlist. John Linnell previewed the concerts in an interview with the web magazine Nude As The News:
- NATN: So you are going to do five differently focused shows in the Bowery Ballroom in November?
- John Linnell: Yeah, we've done this kind of thing before, and for whatever reason, we have repeat customers. So we try to encourage that by doing a different thing every week. We're going to have a night were we have a big band, which is something we did the last time we did this. We have a seven-piece horn section along with our regular band. And then we're doing our entire Flood album in order. And then we're doing a special presentation of our new children's album, No!
The five themes were:
- Show 1 -- 2000-11-02: Opening Pageantry and Preview
- Show 2 -- 2000-11-09: The Dial-A-Song Show (songs that got their start on the phone)
- Show 3 -- 2000-11-16: The Big Band Sound of They Might Be Giants (horn section)
- Show 4 -- 2000-11-23: Then And Now (including preview of the song "No!")
- Show 5 -- 2000-11-30: Celebrating Flood (peformance of full album which had just gone platinum)