Gudetama's Busy Days
|song name||Gudetama's Busy Days|
|artist||They Might Be Giants|
|releases||Dial-A-Song (2018), My Murdered Remains, Some Murdered Remains, Modern|
|sung by||John Flansburgh, Robin Goldwasser harmonizes near the end|
- John Flansburgh on the song in a 2021 Tumblr answer:
It has a lot of small production tricks, but it actually came out of a desire to record from a “less than four-instruments at a time” manifesto that I tried to give myself. So there is guitar, bass, drums and voice, or keys, bass, drums and voice which leaves a lot of room for effects and textures to actually be heard.
As for the topic, it is really just about feeling isolated from the world, even if you are in a crowded place and manically trying to keep up with your life. The character of Gudetama appealed to me because he is such a mopey sad sack—he seemed to fit.
- Gudetama is a character by Japanese merchandising company Sanrio (best known for Hello Kitty) introduced in 2013. Its name loosely translates to "lazy egg", and the character has become a cultural phenomenon internationally, including in America.
- The Pink Dot is a grocery chain based in Los Angeles, California.
- The music video was directed by Ajax Digital Design, and was the first to be released through a timed premiere on YouTube.
- They Might Be Giants have played the music video for this song as they transition out of The Quiet Storm part of their live show during 2020's 30th Anniversary Flood tour.
Dreams, Fading, Guy Songs, Lies And Deception, Loneliness, Love, Money, Misanthropy, Occupations, Oxymorons, Paradoxes, And Contradictory Statements, Questions, Real Estate, Strangers, Trade Names, Transportation
You must be logged in to rate this. You can either login (if you have a userid) or create an account with us today.
Gudetama's Busy Days is currently ranked #591 out of 910. (19 wikians have given it an average rating of 7.84)