Template talk:Current events
- 1 Employee Of The Month Video
- 2 Not Such Worthy News
- 3 The Track Number Thing
- 4 New They Day
- 5 Flans Essay URL
- 6 Sir Mix-A-Lot? More like... Mix-A-NOT!
- 7 They are not actually in "The Brooklynites"
- 8 Podcast 21A
- 9 RSS?
- 10 The Else date
- 11 123's Review
- 12 EV Grieve Interview
- 13 Is it worth noting?...
- 14 "Older" cover with alarm clocks by MysteryGuitarMan
- 15 Tony Millionaire
- 16 Standardization of new song announcements
Employee Of The Month Video
In TMBG's latest Email, they say the video is unrelated to Dane Cook, and show a picture of Louis CK. Think this is a mistake or some kind of weird non-sequitor? --Oddjob 14:43, 23 January 2009 (UTC)
Not Such Worthy News
Hey sorry I posted about that kid rapping over "Illinois," I don't know the standards for posting news I guess. Is there a place where someone can post that kinda stuff though? It's pretty cool. --2sheds
- Talk:Main Page, I suppose. Or the page of whatever the unrelated news relates to. ~ magbatz 20:43, 22 February 2008 (UTC)
The Track Number Thing
A lot of songs appear on multiple albums. Individual pages for songs are not in theory linked to any specific album.
- Ana Ng* has *Track 1* in its information. But *Track 1* is meta information about Ana Ng only in the context of its existence on *Lincoln*, not as a standalone song - which is ostensibly what the individual song pages should represent, with the album pages covering album information.
It*s odd to see *Track 1* on the *Ana Ng* song page, preceded by *Albums: Lincoln, Ana Ng (Single), Then: The Earlier Years, Direct From Brooklyn, Best Of The Early Years, Severe Tire Damage, Dial-A-Song 20 Years Of They Might Be Giants, A User*s Guide to They Might Be Giants: Melody, Fidelity, Quantity*. It isn*t *Track 1* on all of those.
Is the intention to cross-reference all album track information (so that songs appearing on multiple releases have multiple Track data), or just to index first-appearances and/or *major releases*? If the latter, what*s the value?
- The track number references the major release, and following the link provided for that track number shows the release it applies to. I was thinking of making the album name that the track number applies to bold on each song page, but that seems like a hassle. -CapitalQ ♫ talk ♪ 13:43, 5 Mar 2006 (CST)
New They Day
HELLO ALL!!!! I have decided to take initiative to form a national holiday (well, another one if you count They Day)that celebrates the greatness of Brooklyn's Ambassadors of Love (They might be giants). Now all I need to know is when it sould be, what it should be called, and how it should be celebrated. (That is were you come in, if you haven't already guessed.) To pitch me some ideas email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, if you want to talk to me about it, I am drworm818 on instant messanger.
I will then spread the idea across the web and by mouth (but that will be a waste of time because I only know a few serious TMBG fans). I hope that I hear from you. == IF YOU ARE READING THIS, GO TO MY BUDDY PROFILE AND GO TO MY POLL TO VOTE FOR LINNELL OR FLANSBURGH. POLLS CLOSE 11/20/05!!- ==drworm818
DUDE SERIOUSLY WHY?!- not dr worm
dr-worm. why not? jesus has 2
Ha, wow, that sold me. - not drworm either
Sounds like it would go great with Talk Like A Pirate Day.
Talk like a what day? I must have missed that episode of spongebob.
I would recommend that the holiday be on January 16, the release date of Flood. However, it would sometimes fall on Martin Luther King Day. August 5th, or 8-5, would also be a good date because the band "officially" formed in 1985. To celebrate I think we could organize some parties, Drink!, and play TMBG songs. SenorAnderson 16:32, 17 Oct 2005 (EDT)
It could possibly be celebrated on one of the John's birthdays. Linnells is June 12, and Flansburgh is May 6. Of course, then you have to play favorites.. Fwahobadagadz
Or maybe it could be on both days... - Ecks
That would totally overshadow their birthdays. Either that or overshadow the actual event.
Oh i see. TLAP day is real.
Why make a second one instead of spreading and improving the already existing one?
Hey, Im just yryin to have some fun, neither one will be widely celebrated, so who cares?
hey, i thought flood came out on January 5, well, in the US anyway...
It does say January 5th on Flood's page.
Thets a preety good idea. Flood is my probobly favorite Album, THANX
We could get a rock to wind a string around!
Or maybe wear prosthetic foreheads on our real heads! -- Tara
or burn the playhouse down!
Two holidays? Screw that. Let's just celebrate They Day twice as much. User:Droffats
I think we should just keep it the same date as They Day, but change the format a little. I mean, I love TMBG, but I will not walk around with "THEY" on my forehead. You should be able to celebrate it however you wish: wear a TMBG t-shirt, listen to their tunes all day, ring bells, meet-up with other fans, watch GIGANTIC, or write THEY on your forehead. Get-togethers could be put together by fans in different regions of the country/world. We could set up a central site to collect the emails of fans who want to participate and organize the day through that. We could see if Operator Dot could get it mentioned in an official newsletter. In the end, we have to realize we are dealing with a small population of people scattered over a very large area, so we should try to make it as uniform, fun and easy to participate as possible. I found Improv Everywhere's Mp3 Experiment pretty inspiring. See what you think.
Wow, the mp3 experiment dealy looked awsome. Yeah, if there was any way on Gods green Earth we could orginize something like that, except TMBG themed, that would totally be the greatest thing ever. We would need to get the word out and see how many people would show up to an event like that. I love the idea. If we could get a few seriouse TMBG ethusiasts to host something like that in different areas of the country, thet would be awsome. It will be an experiment, like the mp3 one. I like the way you think.
I was thinking: maybe it could be a day for TMBG tributes. For example, people could make music videos (live action feed or a flash) to their songs, drawings, etc. and post them online. Just a thought. -Fwahobadagadz
Why did my update get reverted? It seems legitimate to me. -AtionSong 16:21, 2 Feb 2006 (EST)
- Looks like that news had already been posted on 1/17. See the 2006 Archived News.
- Missed that. Thanks. : ).-AtionSong 17:54, 2 Feb 2006 (EST)
;February 22, 2006
I can't find anything about that at the link provided, or anywhere on that site (using it's search function), for that matter. Someone want to verify it? I'm apt to remove it but you never know, it may not be as fake as it sounds. — User:ACupOfCoffee@ 11:23, 22 Feb 2006 (CST)
- I Googled and found it: http://collect.Myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=music.showDetails&Band_Show_ID=2974425&friendid=2318528 -CapitalQ ♫ talk ♪ 11:51, 22 Feb 2006 (CST)
- Weird, cus that had it earlier... guess they changed it. -Ecks
The note on theymightbegiants.com is gone and the Myspace page says they now officially own it, (revert me if it said that before) so I'm thinking we don't need this mass campaign to get it removed. — User:ACupOfCoffee@ 22:34, 2 Mar 2006 (CST)
Flans Essay URL
it wasn't working, so i took off all the extra junk at the beginning. stop reverting it back. -Nathew 14:11, 30 May 2006 (CDT)
- I've made a change to it, so hopefully it works...I tested several times, and it seems to be fine now. Let me know if you see a problem with it. --Duke33 14:47, 30 May 2006 (CDT)
- still not working for me. i keep getting "The requested URL /click-1990026-10364977 was not found on this server." what is the deal with this jdoqocy.com crap anyway? can't you just link straight to emusic? -Nathew 15:20, 31 May 2006 (CDT)
- Do any of the emusic or napster links work for you on the download pages? Those go through the same place. I've looked in the logs, and hundreds of people are going through the link ok each day...I can't quite explain why it's not working for you, unless you have something set up on your PC to block content from specific domains... --Duke33 15:45, 31 May 2006 (CDT)
- Well, why does it have to go through that stuff anyway? is it one of those referral things that earns you money? --Nathew 02:28, 12 Jun 2006 (MDT)
Sir Mix-A-Lot? More like... Mix-A-NOT!
the remix isn't by sir mix-a-lot. it's by someone or some group called sunshine. it never says on that page that it's by sir mix-a-lot. --Nathew 11:00, 20 Jun 2006 (MDT)
They are not actually in "The Brooklynites"
I checked the website, which claims to have all the book's content, and no trace of TMBG — either one of them. Yes, that article mentioned them, but only as an example. — User:ACupOfCoffee@ 04:22, 18 August 2006 (UTC)
I've reverted a couple of edits where people put that "21A" might be a typo. The reason was that I am assuming that the person who wrote the original bulletin did that intentionally, and that's why they mentioned that it's a new year. I'd say for now, we just leave it as-is...hopefully we'll find out soon if it's 21A or 12A. --Duke33 13:34, 10 January 2007 (UTC)
- Originally, I thought it was a typo too (after all, numbering method aside, it is the first one of the new year), but looking at the listed album for Greasy Kid Stuff on the Myspace music player, it says "Podcast 21A". So I'm thinking it was at least done intentionally by the person who typed it, whether it's correct or not. Or maybe they got it wrong the first time and copied it. I think I'm rambling now, but I wanted to point out the second occurrence of "21A". --badqueso 09:21, 11 January 2007 (UTC)
Would it be possible to get some sort of HTML scrape running on this page, and make some sort of RSS feed of it? 126.96.36.199 22:37, 24 February 2007 (UTC)
The Else date
Just realized that the 16th is a Wednesday, so the album's release date is probably the 15th. Anyone want to add that info to the news and The Else? I'm on my Wii right now and it doesn't let you edit long pages. ;) -CapitalQ ♫ talk ♪ 22:44, 29 March 2007 (UTC)
EV Grieve Interview
That's funny...I read the Flansburgh article last week, but never got around to reading the Linnell interview. As i mentioned, i was in a bit of a hurry, so i didn't really read it closely! Doh. --Duke33 13:43, 12 May 2011 (EDT)
Is it worth noting?...
That Istanbul was used by Those Funny Little People on America's Got Talent this week? http://www.hulu.com/watch/268810/americas-got-talent-those-funny-little-people-take-the-stage#s-p4-sr-i1
"Older" cover with alarm clocks by MysteryGuitarMan
Magz removed this from current events (perhaps he was under the impression that Joe Penna was not notable), but this video is pretty damn awesome. Check it out! -CapitalQ ♫ talk ♪ 02:40, 21 October 2011 (EDT)
I haven't listened to the Tony Millionaire podcast yet. Does he actually talk about TMBG in it? If not, i vote for removal. --Duke33 00:17, 6 July 2012 (EDT)
Standardization of new song announcements
In response to the tug of war going on in the updates right now, I thought I would open up a discussion here. In my opinion the wiki should err on the side of professionalism. It gets monotonous to announce a song with the same language every week, but linking to new songs in the form of nonsensical references is a bit too silly. What do others think? --Sonderling (talk) 11:06, 15 April 2015 (EDT)
- I strongly agree. Not only do the songs speak for themselves without us cracking jokes, but we've used a neutral, professional tone for our Main Page news for 10+ years now. TMBW's homepage probably isn't the right place to be improvising and making song or pop culture references. Either way, the back and forth edit war needs to not happen again. -CapitalQ ♫ talk ♪ 11:21, 15 April 2015 (EDT)
I’m sorry for yesterday. I went through one of the worst days of my life, and when you can’t control the big stuff, you control the little stuff. I crossed a line, and I won’t do it again. I just got angry when not only had the main page been undone but that the stuff had been removed from the archive. It’s stupid, but I flipped out. I’m sorry. i’m not contesting the ban -- it’s only a day -- but I did want to apologise - User:TODCRA
- I like those announcements. I consider them fitting for a TMBG wiki since they are very much in the Johns' vein; the typical goofy humor, etc. The one for I'm a Coward was really funny, IMO, and I dug the pop culture reference. Of course, spoilers might be an argument against this practice, but I don't really see too much of a spoiling factor in it (apart from the "dog" thing in the latest one... but, really?) --Freakiosis (talk) 14:47, 15 April 2015 (EDT) PS. Dog dog dog dog dog dog. PPS. Dog dog dog dog dog.
- i too must voice my strong support of the, for lack of a better name, fun headlines. considering we're talking about they might be giants here, i think it's completely appropriate to have a bit of humour lying around, and what better place for that than in the current events listings? all of our actual content pages remain perfectly professional in tone. perhaps some of the headlines have been a bit far left field, but i'm sure we can dial it back a bit. -- 14:31, 16 April 2015 (EDT)