Sally Boy Candy Bar
From This Might Be A Wiki
|song name||Sally Boy Candy Bar|
|artist||They Might Be Giants|
|releases||1983 Demo Tape, TMBG Unlimited - July, DialASong.com (2000-2006), TMBG Clock Radio, Podcast 32A|
|first played||July 7, 1983 (2 known performances)|
|sung by||John Flansburgh|
- Recorded in 1983 for TMBG's first demo, according to the newsletter accompanying Podcast 32A.
- The first two lines echo the first two of "Boys" (Dixon/Farrell): "I've been told when a boy kiss a girl, take a trip around the world."
- The line "I've been told when a fish needs a bike" refers to the feminist adage "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle," originally said by Australian writer and activist Irina Dunn.
- "Circle gets the square" is a reference to the tic-tac-toe based game show Hollywood Squares. When the "O" (generally female) contestant answered a question correctly, the host of the show would say "Circle gets the square!"
- According to a 1987 interview, the lyric was also used by the band as their group name at their first ever live show in 1982, though the interview was the only time the name was ever mentioned.
- Flansburgh described the recording process for this song:
"Sally Boy Candy Bar was assembled the way a lot of our early tracks were—recorded on a TEAC 4 track probably three individual tracks of drums played individually (thumb on a mic as a kick, or the moog as kick) real hi hat or a moog hat) and a real snare played by John L. in that case. We had bongos and they came into the mix a lot. Everything was then bounced down to one track, and the[n] we added bass and possibly an additional synth sound."
- Flansburgh has also expressed regret that this song never made it onto a proper album, and was rarely played live.
You must be logged in to rate this. You can either login (if you have a userid) or create an account with us today.
Sally Boy Candy Bar is currently ranked #116 out of 910. (59 wikians have given it an average rating of 8.86)