I Need Some Lovin'
|song name||I Need Some Lovin'|
|artist||They Might Be Giants|
|releases||Unreleased, Dial-A-Song, Power Of Dial-A-Song, Free When You Call From Work|
|sung by||Jennifer Neff; John Flansburgh is heard saying "Pow!"|
- A rumor circulating among fans for years said that the Johns claimed vocals for this song came from a Jem and the Holograms cassette tape that came included with a toy, on top of which they laid their own beat. However, on Dial-A-Song in the late '80s, John Flansburgh introduced the song as being sung their friend Jennifer Neff (who also lent her voice for "Live Like Pigs" and "Doris Cunningham" from The Frank O'Toole Show).
- On an old recording, John Flansburgh mentions the release of Lincoln, meaning that this song played on the service at least as early as 1988.
- The song was also listed on a 1985 song list, dating to before the band's first album.
- On most Dial-A-Song recordings, this song is played back to back with "I Find It Hard To Believe."
- The bridge of this song is very similar to the bridge of "Lie Still, Little Bottle."
- The line tears running down my spine is a reference to "Love Me, I'm a Liberal" by Phil Ochs.
- This song was mentioned in the Asbury Park Press on Feb. 16, 1990:
"It's a double rock block," said the taped voice on the other end when I called They Might Be Giants' Dial-A-Song service (718-387-6962) Tuesday.
There were two songs, one a short, silly a capella ditty that managed to use the word "contemptuously" a couple of times and make it sound musical, the other a longer, silly blues played on what sounded like a $49 synthesizer that featured a guest female vocalist rhyming "I need some lovin'" with "turtle dovin."
You must be logged in to rate this. You can either login (if you have a userid) or create an account with us today.
I Need Some Lovin' is currently ranked #687 out of 910. (13 wikians have given it an average rating of 7.54)