I Can't Remember The Dream
From This Might Be A Wiki
|song name||I Can't Remember the Dream|
|artist||They Might Be Giants|
|releases||I Can't Remember The Dream (Single), Super Cool (Single), Part Of You Wants To Believe Me (Single), BOOK|
|first played||December 15, 2022 (13 known performances)|
|sung by||John Linnell, John Flansburgh harmonizes during final chorus|
- This song and its music video, directed by Alex Italics, were released on August 10, 2021, alongside the release date/tracklist announcement for BOOK.
- According to Italics in a reddit AMA, the music video was conceived, produced and released in a period of two and a half weeks. Italics and Flansburgh met in LA in late July 2021 to determine a concept for the video:
One of the images John initially brought to the table was the destruction of a trophy engraved with the words “Best Rock Video.” I was initially taken with this imagery for two reasons: (1) it’s a sentiment that is clearly in the “stop rock video” TMBG wheelhouse, and (2) I found it to be a hilariously both simultaneously self-aggrandizing and self-deprecating meta visual.
- The lyrics of this song were released in March 2021 in a video posted to Facebook showing a preview of BOOK's book.
- John Linnell describing the song in a 2021 interview:
The lyric is actually one of the more straightforward ones, I think. Just very much explaining a situation some of us are familiar with. It also employs a somewhat familiar-sounding rhythm track that's kind of in the tradition of "Louie Louie" and "Sweet Jane" and things like that, where there's a rhythmic guitar part.
- An alternate recording of the song was released in 2022, featuring John Linnell on banjo, and a completely different drum part.
You must be logged in to rate this. You can either login (if you have a userid) or create an account with us today.