Your Racist Friend
From This Might Be A Wiki
|song name||Your Racist Friend|
|artist||They Might Be Giants|
|releases||Flood, Your Racist Friend (Promo), Dial-A-Song: 20 Years Of They Might Be Giants, A User's Guide To They Might Be Giants: Melody, Fidelity, Quantity, Rhino Hi-Five: They Might Be Giants, Flood + Apollo 18, 50,000,000 They Might Be Giants Songs Can't Be Wrong|
|first played||September 23, 1988 (365 known performances)|
|sung by||John Flansburgh, John Linnell|
- "The song is a composite of experiences, and really about the relativistic backpedaling people go through trying to get through this creepy world. This song is really wrapped up in the problem of tacit agreement, and the line 'Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding' just sums it up." - Flansburgh in a 2009 interview with Rolling Stone.
- The song title unwittingly borrows from The Specials song "Racist Friend" - in 2015, John Linnell told Tom Robinson, "We didn't know that we were writing an identically named song when we came out with it. We found out later that there was already a song by that name."
- "My head can't tolerate" is often replaced with "My head is tired of" in live performances.
- Australian singer Mick Thomas occasionally covers this in concert; one such performance is featured on the 2007 live album Paddock Bomb. It has also been covered by Australian punk band Bodyjar.
- Live at The Town & Country Club, London England. Watch it on – Recorded live on June 17, 1990
You must be logged in to rate this. You can either login (if you have a userid) or create an account with us today.
Your Racist Friend is currently ranked #377 out of 910. (132 wikians have given it an average rating of 8.36)