Jonathan Hoefler is a renowned typeface designer, having created typefaces found in Rolling Stone, Harper's Bazaar, The New York Times Magazine, Sports Illustrated, Esquire, and the Whitney Museum. In addition to these, Hoefler has created a significant number of the typefaces featured on TMBG album covers and liner notes.
Typefaces of Hoefler's used by TMBG:
- Cyclone - The tall inline typeface is featured on the cover of The Spine.
- Giant - A custom type family created exclusively for the cover and liner notes of Factory Showroom. Hoefler describes the typeface:
- Barbara Glauber wanted to "crash different vernaculars" when she designed They Might Be Giants' 1996 album Factory Showroom. The typeface she commissioned us to design (formerly known as They Might Be Gothic) pits industrial letterforms against commercial ones in a stylistic deathmatch: we applied the faceting of surface-gilt window letters to the typography of the feltboard office directory, with an added dose of industrial stencilling that periodically ignores the dictates of logic.
- Saracen - Used in the box designs and liner notes of Factory Showroom.
- Ziggurat - Used in the cover of Here Come The ABCs.