This Might Be A Wiki:MediaWiki 1.25 Upgrade

From This Might Be A Wiki

What Has Changed[edit]

Date: 5/25/2015
Prior Upgrade: MediaWiki 1.23.3 Upgrade
Summary of Changes:

Item Old Version New Version Notes
MediaWiki 1.23.3 1.25
InputBox 0.2 0.3 Bundled with core.
VisualEditor 0.1.0 (w/ 1.23 support) 0.1.0 (w/ 1.25 support)

Current Issues[edit]

  • None

Closed Issues[edit]

Title on Preview Screen[edit]

When clicking the "show preview" button (not the preview tab) on the edit source screen, the page title html tag changes to:

<title>{{#ifeq:{{PAGENAME}}|Main Page|TMBW: The They Might Be Giants Knowledge Base|$1 - TMBW: The They Might Be Giants Knowledge Base}}</title>

User Rights Debug[edit]

Special:UserRights throws this debug message:

Notice: Title::newFromText: $text must be a string. This will throw an InvalidArgumentException in future. [Called from Title::newFromText in /home/tmbw/public_html/wiki/includes/Title.php at line 266] in /home/tmbw/public_html/wiki/includes/debug/MWDebug.php on line 300

I believe it's related to this Phabricator item. --Duke33 12:21, 27 May 2015 (EDT)

  • Turning debug messages off cleared this error up. Hopefully they will fix it for their next release. --Duke33 15:11, 27 May 2015 (EDT)

Special Tab[edit]

The "Special" tab is the wrong color / style on the Preferences screen, the create account screen, and the User Rights screen. Perhaps related to various debug errors. --Duke33 12:21, 27 May 2015 (EDT)

  • I modified some styling to newtabs.css, and it fixed it. It looks like it was picking up some prior styling that i had inadvertently copied over from Yuletide. Although, I can't explain why the old site didn't have that same issue. --Duke33 15:11, 27 May 2015 (EDT)

Preferences Screen Debug[edit]

Preferences: Debug message on Prefs screen:

PHP Warning:  Illegal offset type in isset or empty in /home/tmbw/public_html/wiki/languages/Language.php on line 556, referer:
  • Took some trial and error, but i narrowed it down to a problem in LocalSettings.php, with how I had defined $wgVisualEditorNamespaces. I changed it to use array_merge, and the error resolved itself. --Duke33 16:08, 27 May 2015 (EDT)

Miscellaneous MediaWiki Upgrade Notes[edit]

  • The ConfirmEdit extension had a ton of bugs. I had to edit the extension.json file to remove an excess comma to ensure it was valid JSON. Also, ReCaptcha wasn't working. As a result, I moved us over to QwestyCaptcha, which should do the job just fine. (Note, later that night, they released 1.25.1 to address the json.extension issue. I didn't bother to upgrade, however.)
  • Enhanced Recent Changes is now the default view, due to changes in MW software.
  • As part of 1.24, the default thumbnail size moved from 180px to 300px. Personally, I don't mind it, although we probably should update some of our pages to use consistent sizing.
  • wfTime() was deprecated in 1.24. I had to update the cache rebuilder as a result.
  • Had to update a whole slew of our custom extensions that were throwing errors. Changed "=&" to "=" in the $db definition to avoid these "strict" errors.
  • Had to introduce a couple of LocalSettings changes due to skin autodiscovery changes. I had to specifically require_once Vector.php and MonoBook.php.
  • API getResultData() was deprecated in 1.25. Updated TMBAB scripts to use getResult() and updated them to use the new result format which was also modified with 1.25. --Duke33 09:29, 26 May 2015 (EDT)
  • 1.25 introduced a new way to load extensions, using extension.json files. The old way will be deprecated in a future release, so I took this opportunity to clean up all our custom extensions to use the new load method, and to ensure that my files are using the latest mediawiki methods and classes. (Brad)