It's Not My Birthday
|song name||It's Not My Birthday|
|artist||They Might Be Giants|
|releases||They'll Need A Crane (EP), Ana Ng (Single) [UK Release], Don't Let's Start (Album), Miscellaneous T, Then: The Earlier Years, Podcast 28A, 50,000,000 They Might Be Giants Songs Can't Be Wrong|
|first played||June 26, 1987 (79 known performances)|
|sung by||John Linnell|
- From the Then: The Earlier Years liner notes: "The lyrics for It's Not My Birthday have defied simple interpretation, probably out of irresponsibility or laziness on the part of its young author."
- The lyrics contain a few pop culture references:
- "When this gray world crumbles like a cake / I'll be hangin' from the hope / That I'll never see that recipe again"
- "I'm not the only dust my mother raised" is a combination of:
- The phrase "raise a dust", primarily spoken in the UK, meaning "to cause disruption, confusion, or turmoil"
- "I'm the Only Hell (Mama Ever Raised)", a 1977 single by country singer Johnny Paycheck
- Percentage and proof are the common ways of measuring the alcohol content of a beverage.
- This song's recording contains a quiet thump about 10 seconds into the track.
Colors, Drinking, Food, Funny But Sad, Holidays, Jail And Imprisonment, Oblique Cliches Or Idiom, Oxymorons, Paradoxes, And Contradictory Statements, Puns, Questions, References To Other Songs Or Musicians, Relatives, Tongue-Twisters, Transportation, Water, Weather
You must be logged in to rate this. You can either login (if you have a userid) or create an account with us today.
It's Not My Birthday is currently ranked #26 out of 910. (188 wikians have given it an average rating of 9.07)