Title Not In Lyrics
From This Might Be A Wiki
Non-instrumental songs that do not have their full title sung in the song's lyrics.
Title not in lyrics
- Absolutely Bill's Mood
- Album Raises New And Troubling Questions (Song)
- Baroque Hoedown
- Best Regrets
- Different Town
- Garden Of Eden
- Gloria Says "Blast Her Out"
- How Many Planets? - While neither the titular question nor its answer are said in the lyrics, the question asked in the title is answered by the song's track number on Here Comes Science, being track 8.
- Lines Upon A Tranquil Brow
- Memo To Human Resources - Originally going to be titled "I'm Down", which is spoken in the song.
- Mrs. Bluebeard
- Spoiler Alert
Title sung partially
- Apple Juice Blues - "Apple juice..."
- The Ballad Of Davy Crockett (In Outer Space) - "Davy, Davy Crockett" "Traveling through outer space"
- The Ballad Of Timothy McSweeney - "Timothy McSweeney, Timothy McSweeney"
- Bills, Bills, Bills - "Can you pay my bills? Can you pay my telephone bills? Do you pay my automo' bills?"
- Burning Coffee - "Does anybody here smell something burning?"
- Butcher's Tale - "A butcher, yes that was my trade"
- Concrete And Clay - "The concrete and the clay beneath my feet"
- D & W - "D, look at D", "And then there's W, here comes W"
- Dimension Six Rock - "That's Dimension Six!"
- Destination Moon - "By rocket to the moon"
- Door To Door Minotaur - "He resembled a Minotaur / Going door to door"
- Fake Out In Buenos Aires - "Fake out, fake in" "in Buenos Aires"
- The Famous Polka - "A famous person wears the same size water skis as me"
- Gloria Says "This Guy's A Nut" - Gloria says "Then he's a nut"
- Gudetama's Busy Days - “Gudetama’s seen busy days”
- Haunted Floating Eye - "I can't hang out with the haunted eye"
- Hello Radio - "Hello. Hello? Hello?"
- The House At The Top Of The Tree - "There's a house at the top of a tree"
- I'm All You Can Think About - "You can only think of me" (although it is shortened to "Only Think Of Me", likely for space reasons, in some Venue Songs promotional material)
- Kids Are Different Now - "Kids are different than five years ago"
- Kids Go! - "Hey kid" "It's time to go!"
- The Lady And The Tiger - "The entire Lady and the Tiger hall"
- Letter/Not A Letter - "That's a letter" "That's not a letter"
- The Long Grift - "Was just a long, long grift"
- Love Is Eternity - "Love can be eternity"
- Mickey Mouse Clubhouse Theme - "It's the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse"
- Moles, Hounds, Bears, Bees And Hares - Each animal is mentioned in the song, but they are never listed as they are in the title.
- Moving - "Reluctantly helping my friend move"
- Other Father Song - "Makin' up a song about Coraline"
- Read A Book - "Did it say in the book?"
- (She Was A) Hotel Detective - "She's a hotel detective"
- Sapphire Bullets Of Pure Love - "Sapphire bullets, bullets of pure love"
- Shoehorn With Teeth - "Shoehorn, the kind with teeth"
- Sleepwalkers - "They're walking in their sleep"
- Somebody Took My Eyeball - "Somebody took my eye"
- Speed And Velocity - "I've got speed, I've got velocity"
- Tavern In Pinsk - "In a tavern up in Pinsk"
- Ten Mississippi - "And nine Mississippi, ten, and we're done!"
- They Got Lost - "They Might Be Giants got lost"
- Things I Like To Do - "Things are what I like to do"
- TMBG Have This Thing - "They Might Be Giants has this thing called Dial-A-Song"
- Touring In Australia - "Come to our rock shows in Australia"
- Unsupervised, I Hit My Head - "I was unsupervised ... until I, I hit my head"
- Upside Down Frown - "My frown is upside down, it's upside down; my frown's upside down"
- Vote Or Don't - "Vote and don't..."
- Walking My Cat Named Dog - "Me and my cat named Dog"
- We Want A Rock - "Ones who want a rock"
- What Is A Shooting Star? - "A shooting star is not a star"
- Whole Lot Of Glean - "Whole lot of copies of Glean"
- Why Does The Sun Really Shine? - "The sun is a miasma of incandescent plasma"
- Why Does The Sun Shine? - "And even when it's out of sight, the sun shines night and day"
- Theme From Flood - "They Might Be Giants' brand new album: Flood"
- The World Before Later On - "A world before later on"
Title sung pluralized
- Distant Antenna - "The sun's rays can no longer hold back the interference from the distant antennas."
- Imaginary Friend - "In imaginary friends"
- AKA Driver - The song's original title of "NyQuil Driver" is sung, but the title was changed at Elektra's request.
- Thankful For Your Service - The song was originally released on 27: The Most Perfect Album under the eponymous name "3rd Amendment". The song was later re-released for Dial-A-Song 2018 and was renamed to a lyric from the song.
- The Guitar (The Lion Sleeps Tonight) - While never sung, the subtitle exists because Elektra insisted that it be there, presumably to give credit where due.
- The Truth In Your Words - Cecil Portesque and They Got Lost refer to this song as "Truth In Your Words", which is sung in the song. DialASong.com, however, referred to it as "Truth In Words" from 2000 to 2006, which is not spoken in the song.
- All Alone - Possibly also called "Ballad Of The Sneeze", which is not said in the song.
- When The Lights Come On - The title is given as "When The Light Comes On" on the I Like Fun album packaging and many places online, but the band stated this was an error.
- Lincoln, The Else, Glean, and The Escape Team are the only studio albums that do not have their name on the regular CD or LP front cover. However, the middle two were sold with shrinkwrap stickers that mention both the title and artist.
- Problems With Liner Notes - Cases where TMBG don't sing whatever is in the liner notes.