Talk:The Complete Factory Showroom Sessions
This should be categorized though...if it's not a "bootleg", what do we call it? --Duke33 16:07, 7 Jan 2006 (EST)
I say it's a bootleg...TDK says it's a leak. I say we put it back into the bootleg category since there is no other good place to put it. -Nosaj56 21:46, 7 Jan 2006 (EST)
Umm, the description on the bootleg page is, "These are designed to be distributed among collectors." That most defenitely does not describe FS Sessions. It's a leaked tape. -TDK 07:25, 8 Jan 2006 (EST)
- Maybe we should make a "leaked recordings" category then? Or is that overkill?
- I'd argue that "bootleg" does define the FS Sessions. That's not to say it's distributed "morally", but that is the purpose that it serves. Also, I'm not trying to argue in favor of the leaking of this tape, but what source are we citing when we say that it was leaked "much to the Johns' disapproval." It makes perfect sense that it would upset them, but where did they voice their concerns? -Cronny
Seperate pages for the FS Sessions versions of Older, Rat Patrol, On the Drag,..?
Er, why is there such a strong stance against letting this leak/bootleg be distributed, as opposed to other leaked recordings? Besides the two super-rare demos, all the other tracks look like they could be found on FS or They Got Lost or SEXXY. Not that I would at all advise the sharing of it; it just seems strange to me that the bulk of the description on the page is a warning against its distribution. ~ magbatz 10:19, 3 April 2007 (UTC)
- Because Mike wrote it. :) -126.96.36.199 15:07, 3 April 2007 (UTC)
- Moreover, it's the one that the Johns specificially voiced their displeasure about it having been leaked. And I don't mean before the album had come out. -TDK 16:03, 3 April 2007 (UTC)
When did this leak?
Sorry to trudge this argument up from the depths of Wiki hell, but when exactly did this leak? I'm trying to wrap my head around why the Johns would be so displeased about it, seeing as almost this entire tape has been legitimately released, but if it was in between (or even before) FS and Long Tall Weekend, than I'd understand.--Ehsteve14 16:04, 13 December 2011 (EST)
- It was definitely before Long Tall Weekend. I remember hearing "Certain People" and "Reprehensible" on a tape my friend had quite a while before they turned up on LTW. How he got the tape, I have no idea. --Oddjob 19:23, 13 December 2011 (EST)
- Alright, that's interesting to know. So this leak would have spoiled about half of LTW. Well, here's to hoping these versions of Older and On the Drag end up on a podcast or something down the line.--Ehsteve14 22:24, 13 December 2011 (EST)
These songs were (mostly) all played before, during and after the release of FS, notably at the Valentine's Day New Song Massacre of 1997. By that point, I had already had the cassette, which someone gave me that month, long after FS official had been released, but way before LTW. So as for *when* this leaked, I'd place it around February 1997 at the latest, as that's when I had it.
It came to be traded through one of Pat D's friends who was cousins with one of the old TMBG newsgroup fanatics. That user shared with myself and a few other users, and it spread around. I actually wish I could hear OTD and Older without having to dig through my old cassette collection - if anyone has the mp3s and wants to message me.
I have to bring this up as well, because the verbiage doesn't seem right - "much to the disproval of the Johns" - this sentiment never been confirmed and/or given a source, and to me just seems like some crankiness the old TDK would have disseminated.