"What and where was your very first public appearance? Was it a success?
Under a different name John and I performed in the summer of 1983 in Central Park for a FSLN rally that a friend of ours was organizing. We figured their would be a diverse audience of lefties. We felt a bit out of place when the actual audience was primarily Spanish speaking, with many people directly from Central America. We performed "Alienation's for the Rich," "Cowtown," and "Space Suit" among other songs I can't recall. Linnell played a clarinet and his Farfisa organ (which was difficult to lug into the park without a car). The crowd was very generous with us, and made us feel appreciated. We didn't perform in public for about six months." -John Flansburgh, here is this a JF inaccuracy? or is this the correct year?
- He also says "John and I did our first show as TMBG in January of 1983" just above, so that wouldn't really make sense. I think it's well established that the first show was in 1982. -Apollo (Phoebus!) 03:08, 16 November 2010 (UTC)
Based on this interview, the date of the rally may have been July 19, 1982, the third anniversary of the Sandinista Revolution. (See El Grupo De Rock And Roll for more info.) Is this enough evidence to change the show date? It would at least solve the 1969 problem. --Octoflange 03:45, 17 November 2010 (UTC)
- That does make a lot of sense. I don't know if it's enough information, because it's mostly just implied, and the rally may not have necessarily been the exact day, etc. but I really want to believe that it was the 19th. It couldn't hurt to, for now, point out on the show page itself that it may have taken place on the 19th. At least until there is further closure. -Apollo (Phoebus!) 03:49, 17 November 2010 (UTC)
I'm stumped. I've dug and dug but can't find any mention of a date. There was "March for Disarmament" on June 12, 1982, which drew 800,000 and the rally may have been associated or happening at the same time - but that doesn't mean the rally was that day.--Pittsburghmuggle (talk) 05:24, 16 April 2015 (EDT)
- They've made it very clear that it was in August, so no, that wouldn't be it. It doesn't sound like a related cause anyway (just guessing by the name). I know Ant has spent a ton of time looking for a date with no luck, so I think it's just lost to the sands of time. --Self Called Nowhere (talk) 05:38, 16 April 2015 (EDT)
A Picture?[edit | edit source]
In the October 21, 2013 newsletter, TMBG put this picture with the following caption: "John L. and John F. perform at a FSLN benefit in Central Park, NYC 1982".
Do you think this might be this show? If so, can we add the picture to the page?
- This picture isn't a new discovery--we've had it for quite some time. Yes, this is the show it's from. I guess having it on the page might be ok--we don't have other show pictures on pages, but since this show is so significant to TMBG history I think it's a special case. --Self Called Nowhere (talk) 03:25, 22 October 2013 (EDT)
- i'm going to delete your file, because we already have this image. -- 03:31, 22 October 2013 (EDT)