Talk:My Murdered Remains
21st or 22nd album?[edit | edit source]
Right now the order of albums here and on Discography/Studio_Albums state that The Escape Team is 21st, and My Murdered Remains is 22nd. It should, I feel, be the other way around, as My Murdered Remains kind of works as a companion release as I Like Fun, and not to mention in the latest newsletter email, The Escape Team is mentioned *after* My Murdered Remains. (Not to mention The Escape Team is 23 minutes and is barely an album but we're not here to argue that.) Snagwhag (talk) 19:57, 10 December 2018 (EST)
- Hi, I'm the one who added them to the discography list and arranged them in that order. I'm also a card-carrying member of the IFC. I assumed correctly that, MMR, Escape Team, and John Henry Demos were all getting released on the same day, and I wanted the listing to be as non-arbitrary as possible. The reason I put them in the order they're in is because for IFC members, they weren't released on the same day. The downloads for the John Henry Demos were sent via email on November 30, The Escape Team was sent on December 3, and My Murdered Remains was sent on December 5. Without any other way of ordering the albums, I went with this, and I think putting it in this order is better and more concrete than what feels like a companion release. And I know you're not arguing this, but I asked TMBG on Tumblr if The Escape Team counted as an album (as opposed to a compilation) and they answered that it was an album, and unless and until They call it an EP, I think we should classify it as an album. Next in Line (talk) 11:13, 11 December 2018 (EST)
Compilation, Not Album[edit | edit source]
I really feel that My Murdered Remains should fall under the same category as Cast Your Pod To The Wind and Album Raises New and Troubling Questions. Is there some reason other than John Flansburgh calling it an album (a word which he uses to describe Album Raises New and Troubling Questions) that it is on the list of studio albums?--MidoFS (talk) 11:55, 16 December 2018 (EST)
- We've already had this argument and then had it again. I'm pretty over it. --Self Called Nowhere (talk) 00:46, 17 December 2018 (EST)
- The stock photo on MerchDirect (at least at one point) called Album Raises a "rarities compilation", and also I think asking the creator of the album whether or not the album is an album or a rarities compilation is a pretty good source for figuring out which one it is. Next in Line (talk) 02:11, 17 December 2018 (EST)
- I just saw the name "My Murdered Remains" as a clever title referencing both a song from I Like Fun and the fact that these songs were "Murdered Remains" of the I Like Fun Project (akin to the name of They Got Lost). It appears that the band really wants these songs to achieve album status, so I am wrong.--MidoFS (talk) 17:25, 18 December 2018 (EST)
- They announced My Murdered Remains as a new studio album on their free downloads page; I'd say the bonus disc MORE Murdered Remains is more like Cast Your Pod To The Wind. Also I asked and Flans said MMR is 21st studio album and The Escape Team is 22nd. I think that's pretty definitive. --
- Edit: I wasn't trying to argue for MoMR being it's own studio album, I was just trying to respond to the above comment arguing that the whole thing was just a compilation, like ARNATQ or CYPTTW.
- Also I get where you're coming from as a fellow IFC member about the release order, I'd hoped Flans would have said it without the "um" since there's so much debate on it here :) --TheGuardianOfPineapple 12:02, 16 December 2018 (MST)
- I'm trying to understand what you're saying. I don't know if anyone is making the argument that MoMR is a studio album. It's a bonus disc, it's not an album, in exactly the same way Cast Your Pod isn't a studio album. However, I think that unlike Cast Your Pod, MoMR is not substantially separate enough from MyMR to justify a separate page. It's largely made up of leftovers from 2015 and 2018, and a few bonus tracks from Drip. It's a Dial-a-Song loose ends disc. Cast Your Pod is all about the podcasts and both has a less cohesive feeling that The Else, but also contrasts the harder, more broody nature of The Else. Additionally, Cast Your Pod has been released on digital separately (most of the time) from The Else, making it more a compilation all on its own than an add-on to The Else. Unless MyMR and MoMR get separate listings on iTunes and Spotify, then I'd say keep them on one album for now.
- As for Flans saying MyMr is 21 and Escape Team is 22, I still think the IFC release dates (detailed above) are a better argument. They literally came out on different days. There was a time when I could listen to Album 22, but not Album 21 (officially) because it wasn't out yet. That makes no sense. I understand that the the Band is pretty much the definitive authority when it comes to the Band's Music, but I think the order of release of their albums for IFC is more concrete than "they came out on the same day for everyone else, so the order is still arbitrary". Also, Flans literally started his answer with "Um...", so that's not terribly convincing to me. Next in Line (talk) 02:11, 17 December 2018 (EST)