I Like Fun (Song)
From This Might Be A Wiki
|song name||I Like Fun|
|artist||They Might Be Giants|
|releases||Dial-A-Song (2018), I Like Fun|
|first played||January 17, 2018 (30 known performances)|
|sung by||John Flansburgh|
- The lyrics to this song were included on the October 26, 2017 TMBG Newsletter, nearly three months before the album's set release.
- Music video directed by Joren Cull .
- In a 2018 interview with the Wisconsin Gazette, John Flansburgh noted, "The song is really about being sort of trapped in a world of prescription drugs. It's a very light-hearted song, but it's kind of about enjoying getting high, which is not something that people tend to take lightly because of all the reasons that it is dangerous."
- In a 2018 interview with Billboard, Flansburgh described the recording process for this song:
For people not familiar with a Mellotron, it's the first iteration of a sampling device. It's an octave and a half and each note plays its own discreet tape. You know, it's the sound of the flutes in the Beatles' "Fool on the Hill" and "Strawberry Fields Forever." It's a familiar sound. Rock stars in the late 1960s all bought Mellotrons and if you were ambitious about it, you could create your own library of sound samples. So on "I Like Fun," there's a vocal Mellotron that's a homemade vocal sample created by Jack Bruce of Cream...Bruce made a simple set of sounds of him singing. So when you play a chord you have a choir of yourself playing these notes. The sampler is reanimating Jack Bruce. These sound libraries are all available online. It's super weird. I was going through these sound libraries and I was like, "Is this what I think it is? IT IS." I realize I'm getting lost in the weeds here. But...you actually hear that he uses a glockenspiel as a pitch reference. He hits the tone and sings, "ahhhhhhhhh." I like the idea of Jack Bruce at home with a tape recorder and a glockenspiel, singing a scale, cutting up tape and feeding this contraption in his own personal bedroom. That's dedication.
- In a Periscope video posted February 8, 2018, Flansburgh said he wrote the song about himself, not John Linnell, even though the lyric references being 58 years old, which was Linnell's age at the time of recording. Flans said he changed it because "58" was easier to sing, and he'll be that age "soon enough."
You must be logged in to rate this. You can either login (if you have a userid) or create an account with us today.
I Like Fun (Song) is currently ranked #573 out of 868. (37 wikians have given it an average rating of 7.78)