TMBG, but perhaps John Flansburgh in particular, seem to enjoy speaking, singing, or even acting out a sort of caricature of a German national. John Flansburgh has often used the pseudonym "Rolf Conant", because Conant is his middle name and Rolf is simply "a good German name." John Linnell has used the name "Gunnar", which is more properly Teutonic in origin, but arguably sounds somewhat Germanic.
Songs that reference Germany or German people[edit | edit source]
- Complete Paranoia - "The German scientist guy turns around"
- Live Like Pigs - "A lot of people have compared the band, They Might Be Giants, to Germany in the '30s"
- Road Movie To Berlin
- Stormy Pinkness (Love Version) - Backed by a German audience
- The New German Cinema
- Weep Day - "West German protest march"
Songs featuring German words or a Germanic accent[edit | edit source]
- Clowntown - German accent
- Mr. Klaw - German accent
- O Tannenbaum - Sung entirely in (butchered) German
- Philadelphia - Employs both a German accent and the style of German electronic music. Ends with the German word "dankeschön".
Honorable mention[edit | edit source]
- There is a German news presenter in the music video for "Snail Shell"
- Koenigstein - named after a German town