Different When Played Live
As They Might Be Giants' music is very produced, live shows are a different experience from their records. In most cases this just means that an exotic instrument is replaced with guitar, but many songs have additional surprises when performed live such as additional lyrics or a completely alternate version altogether.
- Alphabet Of Nations has an additional bridge. This was later released on the 10th anniversary edition of No!.
- The tune to which Ana Ng's bridge is sung varies. (And sometimes is it spoken.)
- Birdhouse in Your Soul's instrumental section contains an extra melody, and is played in D major (with the original being in C major).
- Black Ops becomes a faster rock version. This version was given a studio treatment in 2015.
- In Circular Karate Chop, "that's very important" is added after the second rule.
- During Experimental Film, Flansburgh shouts "Guitar!" before the solo.
- How Can I Sing Like A Girl? is sometimes performed by only the Johns with a guitar and accordion.
- Istanbul (Not Constantinople) almost always gains a long, improvisational acoustic guitar intro before the full song kicks in.
- During Lie Still, Little Bottle, Flansburgh keeps time with a stick.
- Maybe I Know is sometimes performed acoustically with just John and John on accordion and guitar.
- A conga line is started during No One Knows My Plan.
- Spy is often performed in a medley with Mr. Tambourine Man.
- They Got Lost is a faster version.
- Starting in 2013, Toddler Hiway has since been expanded into a full song.
- In Twisting, the name of the band changes.
- Where Your Eyes Don't Go was usually played faster and in 4-4 time; Flansburgh and Linnell just played guitar and accordion, with no other accompaniment. Starting with the Nanobots tour, the song is now performed by the entire band and closely resembles the studio version.
- For over two decades, Why Does The Sun Shine? had an alternate, faster version exclusively live. This ceased to be the case when this alternate version was recorded in a studio for Here Comes Science.
- With The Dark is sometimes an alternate version, the slow beginning part being extended for the whole song.